Snapchat became the latest platform to jump on the chatbot bandwagon when it launched My AI in February.
My AI is ‘an experimental and friendly’ chatbot designed to be a personal sidekick to each Snapchatter who chats with it, the social media app says.
Powered by OpenAI’s ChatGPT, it can be used to come up with dinner suggestions, plan an itinerary, or send a loved one a personalised poem.
Initially, My AI was only available to those sign up to Snapchat Plus, its £3.99-per-month subscription service, but now it is being released to all Snapchat users.
My AI will appear pinned in the chat tab above conversations with friends for all users – but it can be removed if wanted.
My AI uses the same technology as OpenAI’s ChatGPT, but has has been specially trained so it adheres to the app’s safety guidelines. Snapchat is releasing it to all of its users, whether or not they’re signed up to Snapchat Plus
A Snapchat spokesperson told MailOnline that it will be rolling out to all users globally over the next few days – meaning you will soon see it at the top of the chat tab.
The social media app has now upgraded My AI with new features and functionality as it becomes available to all its users – including the ability to include it in chat conversations.
Snap Inc, the company that owns Snapchat, made the announcement at Snap Partner Summit, its annual developer conference on Wednesday.
‘We’re excited to announce that we’re rolling out My AI to the entire Snapchat community for free, along with a bunch of brand new features,’ said Evan Spiegel, founder and CEO.
‘We can’t wait to see how our community embraces My AI.’
According to the Snapchat, website, My AI is an experimental, friendly, chatbot currently available to users, designed to be a personal sidekick.
In a chat conversion, My AI can answer a trivial question, suggest a gift for a friend’s birthday, help plan a hiking trip for a long weekend, suggest what to make for dinner and much more.
Snapchat says: ‘My AI is there to help and to connect you more deeply to the people and things you care about most.’
Evan Spiegel, founder and CEO of Snap Inc, speaks at the 2023 Snap Partner Summit in Santa Monica, California, on Wednesday
My AI uses the same technology as OpenAI’s ChatGPT, but has been specially trained so it adheres to the app’s safety guidelines
Snapchat introduces five new features to its My AI bot
1. Personalise My AI: Your AI comes with one of thousands of unique Bitmoji variations and can be easily customised to make it truly your own. Design a custom Bitmoji for your AI, give it a name, and start chatting
2. Bring My AI into Conversations with Friends. Simply @ mention My AI and ask a question on behalf of the group. It will be clear when an AI has entered the chat and includes a sparkle next to its name.
3. Snapchat Recommendations: My AI surfaces place recommendations from the Snap Map and suggests relevant ‘Lenses’ – augmented reality effects.
For example, you can ask My AI to suggest weekend activities for your family or get a Lens recommendation to wish a friend a happy birthday.
4. Share Snaps with My AI: Users can send Snaps to My AI and receive a chat reply.
5. Watch It Snap You Back: Soon Snapchat Plus subscribers will be able to Snap My AI and get a unique generative Snap back that ‘keeps the visual conversation going’.
In a blog post, it has detailed five new My AI features that accompany its full release, although one of those is only for Snapchat Plus users.
My AI can be personalised with thousands of different Bitmoji designs – the animated cartoon-style avatars – such as clothes and even colourful alien-like skin colours.
Users can also send Snaps, the short video clips on the app, to My AI and receive a Snap in reply – although this particular feature is exclusive to Snapchat Plus users.
My AI can also now be introduced into a conversation with a friend or a group by typing @MyAI, perhaps if there’s a question that someone wants answered.
According to Snap Inc, its customised version of ChatGPT is ‘far from perfect’ and ‘prone to hallucination’ – and it can be tricked into saying things that are inaccurate.
While My AI is designed to not perpetrate ‘biased, incorrect, harmful or misleading information’, it has admitted that ‘mistakes may occur’.
‘My AI may answer incorrectly, provide biased answers or note it is unsure of the answers so don’t rely on its advice,’ the company says.
However, it’s made ‘a lot of progress’ since it was rolled out in February and now 99.5 per cent of the bot’s responses conform to its community guidelines.
Already, My AI will not give responses that include swearing, sexual references or any other inappropriate content – which is important as Snapchat is available to download by children as young as 13.
The company hopes the new feature will help ‘foster deeper connections between friends’, but also become something that ‘draws [its] community’ to the app.
If you want to remove My AI you can do this, but you just have to be a Snapchat Plus subscriber.
To do so, you swipe right from the camera screen to bring up the chat screen and then press and hold on My AI.
Next, tap ‘Chat Settings’ followed by by ‘Clear from Chat Feed’ to get rid of it.
Snapchat Plus is a collection of exclusive and experimental features available in Snapchat for $3.99/month
Snapchat Plus launched last year with six exclusive features, including ‘Rewatch Indicator’, which shows how many people are rewatching Stories – the photos and videos that are posted to a user’s feed.
Meanwhile, ‘Best Friends Forever’ gives Snapchat Plus users the ability to pin one friend as their number one ‘BFF’.
Other features that have since been added such as ‘Story Boost’ to get more views of Stories from friends, and ‘Story Timer’, which lets subscribers choose how long their Stories last.
Snap Inc told it has no plans to replace its primary advert-based option, but it said the subscription model is ‘an interesting model to pursue’.
Snapchat Plus features
– Rewatch Indicator – shows how many people are rewatching Stories
– Custom App Icons – lets users customize their homescreen Snapchat App icon
– Snapchat Plus Badge – a special star designation to show which Snapchatters are subscribers. This can be turned on and off and is off by default
– Best Friends Forever – gives the ability to pin one friend as your number one best friend, and a new way to celebrate friendship on Snapchat
– Solar System – a special badge on a Friendship Profile Shot
– Priority Story Replies – Replies to Community Stories have a better chance of being seen and responded to
– Post View Emojis – Chosen emoji will be shown to friends next to your name after viewing a Snap you’ve sent them
– Bitmoji Backgrounds – Exclusive backgrounds for your Bitmoji
– Story Timer – Choose how long your Stories last – 1 hour, 6 hours, 12 hours, 2 days, 3 days or 1 week
– Capturing Colour – Change the colour of the border that appears when you’re recording a Snap from the default yellow
– Customer Notification Sounds – Set a custom notification sound to play for specific friends (or Groups) when you get a Snap, Chat, or typing notification from them
– Friend Snapscore Change – See how much a friend’s Snapscore (a measure of activity on Snapchat) has changed since the last time you checked it
– Chat Wallpapers – Customise the background wallpaper of Chats and Group Chats for everyone in the Chat to see
– Custom Capture Buttons – Change how the capture button appears
– Gift Snapchat Plus – Gift 12 months of Snapchat Plus to friends that aren’t subscribed
– Story Boost – Boost your private Snapchat Story for 24 hours and get more views from friends
– My AI – ChatGPT-powered custom AI chat bot