Man United ‘are given a boost in their £100m pursuit of England star Declan Rice’ after West Ham’s poor December form – which saw them win just two of six league games – dented their Champions League dreams
- Ralf Rangnick’s reportedly agreed to make Declan Rice a priority at Man United
- The Red Devils understand they will have to splash out £100m on the midfielder
- But United could get a boost if West Ham do not qualify for Champions League
- Hammers boss David Moyes insisted he is not worried about losing his star man
West Ham’s disappointing December run has handed Manchester United a boost in their pursuit of midfielder Declan Rice, according to reports.
The Red Devils interim manager Ralf Rangnick has given the club the green light to listing the England international as one of their priority targets this summer.
United understand they will have to splash out £100million to convince the Hammers to part way with their star midfielder but West Ham’s pursuit of Champions League football could put the move in jeopardy, according to The Sun.
West Ham’s poor form has handed Man United a boost in their pursuit of Declan Rice (above)
David Moyes’s side currently sit fifth just one point outside of the top four and Champions League qualification places.
The report claims securing top-level European football for next season would provide the Irons with hefty leverage in negotiations and even the power to reject offers for the 22-year-old.
However, despite having two years left on his current deal, Rice could push for a move if West Ham fail to meet his ambitions and make the Champions League spots this term.
The Hammers top four hopes have taken a serious blow in recent weeks as the London side have struggled to juggle their Premier League and Europa League campaigns.
Champions League qualification would give the Hammers the power to reject offers for Rice
Despite bouncing back to winning ways with a 3-2 victory over Crystal Palace on Saturday, West Ham took just eight points from 18 last month.
The narrow win saw them move back into fifth but Moyes will hope his side improve on their recent form to improve their chances of keeping Rice at the London Stadium.
United are believed to be looking to capitalise on the Hammers’ recent struggles and seize their chance in the coming weeks to do the groundwork ahead of producing a big bid at the end of the season.
United interim boss Ralf Rangnick (left) has reportedly agreed to list the midfielder as a priority
But the Red Devils are not alone in the hunt for Rice’s signature as Manchester City and Chelsea are also said to be admirers as he enjoys another fine season on the back of his success at Euro 2020.
Hammers boss Moyes recently insisted he is not worried about losing his star man to one of Europe’s elite clubs, despite comparing him with the continent’s best.
‘Well, Declan’s under a long contract here, under a long length of contract. So from that point of view we’ve not got a big panic on,’ he said.
But Hammers boss David Moyes (left) has insisted he is not worried about losing his star man
‘We will keep Declan as long as we possibly can, we’ve no intentions of selling him. If we ever had to, I’ve said already many, many times what it would be – shoot to the moon.
‘Overall he’s done a great job. Hopefully he keeps driving the team on and I hope we continue to add good players to play with and around Declan.
‘My job is to keep building the club and build this level up and getting Declan players around him who are of a similar level and capable of playing at a really high level.