Shocking crash on Melbourne’s most iconic bridge leaves victims sprawled on the road – as witnesses say a silver Ford was speeding ‘like a bullet’ before smash: ‘driving like a madman’
- Two people critically injured after horror crash on West Gate Bridge, Melbourne
- Silver sedan collided with a Vinnies truck, forcing the truck to roll onto its side
- Male driver and passenger in sedan taken to hospital in critical conditions
- Three other men in the sedan are being assessed by paramedics at the scene
- Footage appears to show three men being arrested but police haven’t confirmed
- Four lanes have been closed on bridge after the Vinnies truck rolled over
Two people are fighting for life, while three more have been injured after a horror crash on a major Melbourne highway involving a Vinnies truck and a sedan.
Witnesses reported seeing a silver Ford ‘driving like a madman’ just before the serious crash on the West Gate Bridge in Spotswood, on Tuesday at 10.35am.
The truck has rolled onto its side and is blocking four lanes of traffic from the city’s CBD.
It’s understood one person was thrown from their vehicle in the collision
The male driver of the sedan and a male passenger, both believed to be aged in their 20s, have been taken to hospital with critical injuries.
Three other men who were passengers in the car are being assessed by paramedics while the two men in the truck escaped injury.
Helicopter footage appeared to show at least three men being taken away in handcuffs after the collision.
Paramedics and firefighters were seen trying to free one person from the sedan.
Four people have been injured and one was thrown from their car after a horror crash on a major Melbourne highway involving a Vinnies truck and a sedan
A Vinnies truck laid on its side blocking multiple lanes of traffic on Melbourne’s West Gate Bridge
- The male driver and passenger of a silver Ford Falcon both rushed to hospital in a critical condition.
- Three other men who were in the car that was seen speeding shortly before the crash are being treated at the scene by paramedics.
- The car smashed into a St Vincent’s truck – but the driver and passenger were not injured.
- Police have made multiple arrests at the scene. Traffic chaos throughout Melbourne after the crash
‘There’s a number of individuals lying there being attended to by the public, because the ambulance and the police just can’t get through because the roads are entirely blocked,’ one witness told Radio 3AW.
Another driver travelling outbound said he saw a silver Ford speed past him ‘like a bullet’ on the bridge.
One man is seen being dragged into a police car after the collision on Tuesday morning
Witnesses are seen hugging each other as emergency service workers assess the scene
‘He was driving like a mad man,’ the driver said.
‘I thought to myself he won’t make it to the other side of the bridge.’
Footage from the scene shows witnesses hugging each other as various emergency service vehicles line the bridge.
Drivers have been urged to avoid the area and use Geelong Road to get to the M80 Ring Road interchange instead of the West Gate Freeway.
Police are investigating the crash.
Outbound lanes between Montague St and Williamstown Rd are now closed.
Anyone with information, who witnessed the collision or with dashcam footage is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
Traffic was banked up for several kilometres in the wake of the crash, above