Victorian detectives are set to dump theft charges against tragic rollercoaster victim Shylah Rodden a day after they were revealed by Daily Mail Australia.
Shylah remains bedridden at the Royal Melbourne Hospital where she has been recovering since a rollercoaster ploughed into her at the Melbourne Royal Show on September 24.
Court sources have told Daily Mail Australia the charges are listed to be withdrawn when they front the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday.
It is understood the charges related to allegations that occurred before the 26-year old’s accident.
Shylah Rodden was charged with theft before her tragic accident in September
Horrifying footage shows Shylah Rodden (pictured in black) moments before being hit by the Rebel Coaster at the Melbourne Royal show on September 24
Despite her dire condition, public court records revealed Shylah was due to appear in court on Wednesday alongside lawyers from Melbourne’s SLKQ Lawyers.
A police spokeswoman refused to comment on Shylah’s case when question by Daily Mail Australia, but suggested the matter could be up for review.
‘All circumstances are taken into consideration for each individual matter when determining if prosecution will proceed,’ she said on Monday.
‘We won’t be providing comment for this particular matter as it is before the court.’
The backflip is sure to come as some relief to Shylah’s devastated family, who continue to carry on a bedside vigil that began in September.
Hospital staff told Daily Mail Australia just days before Christmas that Shylah remained in a stable condition after being brought out of a medically-induced coma in November.
The allegations surrounding the charges will likely remain a mystery as court documents are traditionally not handed over to the media upon charges being withdrawn.
It was revealed last year Shylah had endured a tumultuous life, which had seen her previously convicted over dishonesty matters.
Shylah faces years of rehabilitation after suffering a massive brain injury when she was flung nine metres into the air by the fast-moving ride while trying to retrieve a dropped phone.
Shylah Rodden (pictured) is due to appear in court on theft charges despite being seriously injured by a rollercoaster
Shylah Rodden faces a long battle to recovery after being hit by a rollercoaster in September
Shylah’s father Alan Rodden told Daily Mail Australia soon after the incident that his daughter had suffered life-changing injuries.
‘I can’t talk to my daughter. She’s going to be in a coma for quite a while,’ he said.
‘The injuries are horrific. Horrific. She’s brain damaged. It’s pelvic, her arms, legs, back, neck – there’s hardly a thing that’s not broken. I just can’t work out how the hell so much damage has been done.
‘Even the doctors have said they haven’t seen anything as bad as this for a long time.’
While Shylah’s condition is classed as stable, close friends of hers have told Daily Mail Australia she remains trapped in her body, unable to communicate with anyone.
A Melbourne Royal Show spokeswoman claimed ‘the safety and well-being of our visitors to the show continues to be our number one priority’ (pictured, the Royal Melbourne Show)
Her supportive family remain committed to caring for her upon her eventual release from hospital.
The Rodden family endured a nightmare end to 2022 and face further anguish just days into the new year.
Trolls have mercilessly added to the family’s grief, with people continuing to slam Shylah’s actions after each and every article on her is published.
So vile has been the abuse, a video of Shylah being hit by the rollercoaster went viral after being posted on TikTok accompanied by ridiculous music.
A GoFundMe fundraiser established to help with Shylah’s recovery has now raised more than $23,000 and remains open despite reaching its $20,000 target.
The money is just a drop in the ocean to what will be needed to keep Shylah comfortable for the remainder of her life.
A friend in close contact with Shylah and her family told Daily Mail Australia the money raised from the fundraiser would go towards helping Shylah’s long road to recovery.
‘People are under the impression that this money is just for her family. But people need to know this money is for Shylah’s recovery,’ the friend said.
‘This money will go towards her therapy, her rehabilitation, things they need to change around the house for showering and toilet needs.’
Questions over the height of fences around the ride (pictured) remain unanswered by Show management
On the day she was struck by the rollercoaster, Shylah had been working at a friend’s stall at the Melbourne Royal Show.
The pair had been on a break when they decided to go on a few rides to kill time.
It is understood Shylah dropped her phone while on the rollercoaster and police believe she walked onto the tracks of the high-speed ride to retrieve the device.
Government sources told Daily Mail Australia last year that whatever drove Shylah to jump onto the tracks was not a concern of the safety watchdog.
It is understood WorkSafe is investigating what the ride’s operators were doing when Shylah made her way onto the tracks.
‘Her toxicity levels are not relevant to the investigation into whether the duty holder was doing everything reasonably practicable to provide a safe and healthy workplace,’ a source told Daily Mail Australia.
A WorkSafe inspection concluded that The Rebel Coaster was ‘safe’ to re-open just days after the accident, allowing operators to re-open the ride to the public.
The move was slammed at the time by Shylah’s family, who branded it ‘shameful’.
A Melbourne Royal Show spokeswoman told Daily Mail Australia at the time that WorkSafe had declared the ride was safe to be re-opened.