TRANSFER NEWS LIVE: Virgil van Dijk is unwilling to commit his future to Liverpool after Jurgen Klopp’s exit…as Mikel Arteta hits out at ‘fake news’ report linking him with Barcelona

Follow Mail Sport’s live blog of all the latest news and updates in the transfer window on Monday, January 29. 

Luton yet to agree deal for Daiki Hashioka

Luton are still trying to agree a deal for Japan international Daiki Hashioka.

‘He’s a player that we like,’ Hatters boss Rob Edwards said.

‘Nothing has been agreed yet and I want to respect the process but he’s a player we like and there’s an interest there.’

Unai Emery wants to keep Jacob Ramsey

Jacob Ramsey has attracted interest from Newcastle and Bayern Munich, but Unai Emery is determined to keep him at Villa Park this month.

‘He is a very important player, he grew up here in the academy. His progression is clear,’ he said.

‘I want to keep him here with us. He starts taking some movement around him, some teams want to sign him – of course he is a big potential player for Villa and in England. I want to keep him here 100%.’

Mikel Arteta hits out at Barcelona rumours

Mikel Arteta has reaffirmed his commitment to Arsenal and hit back at sensational reports in Spain that claimed the Gunners boss could leave the club at the end of the season.

An out-of-the-blue report had claimed that the 41-year-old football coach had told those close to him that he was considering a move away from the north London club.

But the Gunners boss has had his say on those rumours and has flatly denied that they were true.

You can read more from Arteta below

Forest ‘still active’ in the market

Forest are still trying to complete some signings ahead of deadline day, according to Nuno Espirito Santo.

Channelling his inner Rolling Stones, however, the Portuguese also admitted one does not always get what one wants.

‘Yeah we’ve spoken about it before,’ Nuno said in his press conference on Monday.

‘There’s three days to go so we have to wait and see. As a club we are active and trying to reach our targets as it’s clear what we want and what we need.

‘It’s not always possible to get what you want so we are waiting for developments. My job is to always be aware of situations but mainly focusing on the team and trying to get it right.’

Eddie Howe does not expect Newcastle to spend big in the summer

As we mentioned earlier this morning, Newcastle are in a difficult spot when it comes to the January transer window.

Speaking today, Eddie Howe admitted he will understand if transfer decisions are taken this month to safeguard the future of the club, but he does not expect a ‘war chest’ to be waiting for him in the summer.

The Magpies are at their financial limit of profit and sustainability rules and the manager admits it will be ‘impossible’ to bring a player in without one leaving this week.

Talks over Miguel Almiron being sold to Saudi club Al-Shebab continue and there has been interest in striker Callum Wilson and defender Jamaal Lascelles.

Mail Sport’s Craig Hope has all the latest here.

Pierre-Emile Hojbierg to stay at Spurs

Pierre-Emile Hojbierg is set to remain at Tottenham at least until the end of the season, according to reports by Sky Sports Denmark.

The Spurs midfielder was linked with Juventus and Lyon earlier this month but has decided to stay put.

Roy Hodgson wants Michael Olise to stay at Palace

Roy Hodgson has also addressed the rumours linking Michael Olise with an exit from Selhrust Park at the end of the season. The winger has attracted interest from Manchester United and Chelsea, but Hodgson believes it would be a ‘sad day’ for the club if Olise left.

Palace hopeful of completing Munoz signing

Crystal Palace are hopeful of completing the signing of Genk right-back Daniel Munoz before deadline day.

‘We are hopeful we will be able to announce his arrival fairly soon,’ said Roy Hodgson.

‘He is over here, he has been having medicals but there are still one or two issues that still have to be sorted out before we can say he will be a Crystal Palace player but we are certainly working on that.’

LIVERPOOL CONFIDENTIAL: Klopp’s departure could impact transfers

Jurgen Klopp’s impeding Liverpool exit has taken the football world by storm and the German’s imminent departure could have a big impact on transfers at the club.

We’ve already shared how Virgil van Dijk is unsure about his own future, and there’s plenty up in the air at Anfield with a number of off-field staff set to leave, including sporitng director, Jorg Schmadtke, who will leave next week.

One source, who has worked in the recruitment department at a number of big teams in England and around Europe, tells Mail Sport that this uncertainty could see selling clubs and agents try to exploit Liverpool’s situation to get a better deal.

Huddersfield sack Darren Moore

There’s a new managerial vacancy in the Championship as Huddersfield have sacked Darren Moore.

The Terriers have won just three of Moore’s 23 games in charge and are 21st in the Championship after drawing 1-1 with QPR at Loftus Road yesterday.

DONE DEAL – Lewis Miley signs new Newcastle contract

Lewis Miley has signed a new long-term contract with Newcastle.

The 17-year-old has made 18 appearance this season and has been capped at Under-19 level for England.

‘It’s a really proud moment for me and my family to sign another professional contract with my boyhood club. I couldn’t be prouder,’ he said.

‘Hopefully I can continue to do well over the next few years, and I can keep improving my performance and getting better as a player.’

Could Liverpool lose Virgil van Dijk too?

Liverpool captain Virgil van Dijk is unwilling to commit his future to the Reds until he has clarity over the club’s long-term vision, with the defender unsure what comes next for him after his Anfield deal expires next summer.

Van Dijk is one of three star names whose contracts need sorting ahead of 2025, alongside Mohamed Salah and Trent Alexander-Arnold. And though there are no immediate concerns that the captain wants an exit, he wants to see what happens next before signing any extension.

Losing their captain after Jurgen Klopp announced his shock departure last week would be a huge blow for Liverpool.

DONE DEAL – Fenerbache sign Caglar Soyuncu

Former Leicester City defender Caglar Soyuncu has joined Fenerbahce on loan from Atletico Madrid until the end of the season.

The Turkish international spent five years with the Foxes, winning the FA Cup in 2021.

Newcastle keen to sign Jacob Ramsey

Newcastle United have reportedly made an approach for Aston Villa star Jacob Ramsey, who has also attracted interest from Tottenham and Bayern Munich.

According to The Athletic, Villa must raise funds by the end of June to stay compliant with profit and sustainability rules.

DONE DEAL – Callum Lang signs for Pompey

A bit of news from League One, where Portsmouth have completed the signings of Wigan forward Callum Lang for an undisclosed fee.

The 25-year-old has signed a two-and-a-half-year deal, with a club option for an additional 12 months.

Blues boss John Mousinho said: ‘Callum is a versatile player who’s comfortable in any position across the front line.

‘He’s also a proven scorer at this level and has a promotion under his belt with Wigan, so we’re delighted to bring him to the club.

‘Callum adds goals, creativity and experience to our squad and I’m really looking forward to working with him.’

Calvin Ramsay to join Bolton on loan

Mail Sport understands that Calvin Ramsay from Liverpool is joining Bolton Wanderers on loan.

Liverpool were impressed with the work done by Bolton with Conor Bradley last season and that has played a part in their decision.

File photo dated 09-11-2022 of Liverpool's Calvin Ramsay who is set to join Preston on loan for next season. Issue date: Tuesday June 13, 2023. PA Photo. See PA story SOCCER Liverpool. Photo credit should read Nigel French/PA Wire.

Moise Kean set for Atletico switch

Moise Kean – remember him, Everon fans? – is set to join Atletico Madrid on loan until the end of the season from Juventus, in a deal which does not include an option to buy.

The former Everton loanee is currently undergoing a medical in the Spanish capital ahead of his move.

The Italy international is yet to score his first goal of the season after making just 12 appearances in Serie A.

Wes Foderingham could leave on loan

Chris Wilder has confirmed that Ivo Grbic is set to be Sheffield United’s No1 for the foreseeable future, with Wes Foderingham potentially heading out on loan.

‘Wes asked the question, would he be available to go out on loan and I said listen let’s see what happens and see who comes to the table on that,’ Wilder said.

‘I was up front with Wes, always have been in terms of what we were doing. I am not going to see ourselves light either, I put myself out there and said Ivo [Grbic] will be No1.’

Eddie Howe: ‘Callum Wilson is staying’

Eddie Howe has also dismissed Callum Wilson could leave the club in January, despite being linked with a move away from St. James’ Park

‘I wasn’t aware of that with Callum, to be honest. Callum’s 100 per cent committed just like Kieran [Trippier] is. That’s why I’m surprised by the noise with Callum,’ Howe said.

‘I don’t really understand it. He’s currently injured. We have one fit striker, he’s our second fit striker. We’re desperate to get him back. From his perspective and ours, there’s nothing in this.’

Eddie Howe coy on new signings

Newcastle have dominated headlines through the transfer window so far, albeit not for the reasons their fans may have hoped for. The Toon may be the richest club in the world, but those pesky Financial Fairplay rules means they must sell before they buy.

Bruno Guimaraes is the latest man linked with an exit from St. James’ Park and Eddie Howe admitted new signings over the next three days are unlikely.

‘Nothing has changed, it’s copy and paste from before the Fulham game. I have no fresh news to give you. We’re still waiting to see,’ he told reporters on Monday morning.

‘We are waiting to see what happens. I don’t want to talk about individual names.

‘It’s a complex situation. Nothing is clear cut and all eventualities could happen. What we probably won’t do is bring a player in without losing one the other way.’

Monday’s Transfer Gossip Column

If, like most of us, you’re battling through Monday morning short on sleep and in desperate need of a coffee we can’t help with either. However, if you’re looking for your transfer fix, you have come to the right place.

Here’s a round-up of today’s gossip so far.

Good morning!

Good morning and welcome to Mail Sport’s live coverage of the January transfer window. Clubs have only three days left to do business, before the window slams shut – it never closes gently, for some reason.

Throughout the day we’ll be bringing you the latest rumours and gossip as well as any news of confirmed deals.



Read more at DailyMail.co.uk