New Zealand pauses trans-Tasman bubble for at least another two months – putting Christmas holidays at risk
- Ban on quarantine-free trans-Tasman travel bubble to remain until November
- Future travel from Australia to New Zealand depends on Covid vaccination rates
- NZ Deputy PM says Delta outbreak from NSW & VIC lead to travel ban extension
- Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern halted trans-Tasman bubble in July for 8 weeks
New Zealand’s ban on quarantine-free travellers from Australia will remain until November at least, with future trans-Tasman travel hinging on vaccination rates.
Deputy Prime Minister Grant Robertson said the increased infectiousness of COVID-19’s Delta variant, present in uncontained outbreaks in NSW and Victoria, led to New Zealand’s decision for lengthen its travel ban.
‘Decisions we make about everything COVID are led by a health response,’ Robertson said.
‘We are pushing out for another eight weeks and will re-assess.’
New Zealand’s ban on Australian travellers could stay in place until November depending on vaccination rates
Jacinda Ardern’s government halted the trans-Tasman bubble back in July for eight weeks.
Friday’s fresh eight-week extension takes the travel pause through to November 19.
Robertson said New Zealand would be ‘extremely unlikely’ to fling open the borders in November, suggesting re-openings would rely on vaccination rates.
‘What we want to do is see where we are – both countries and states within Australia … on vaccination rates in eight weeks time,’ he said.
Deputy PM Grant Robertson said New Zealand would be ‘extremely unlikely’ to fling open the borders in November with fate lying in vaccination numbers
‘We have a desire to get New Zealanders vaccinated and once we do that, that opens up a series of options.
‘The more people we get vaccinated and the quicker we get them vaccinated, the more options open up for us.’
The trans-Tasman bubble was first agreed in principle by the Australian and New Zealand governments back in May 2020.
In October that year NSW became the first state to allow travellers across the Tasman Sea without quarantining.
New Zealand reciprocated six months later in April, creating the trans-Tasman bubble.
However, operating the bubble proved difficult.
New Zealand’s travel ban has been in place since July after Jacina Ardern slammed the borders shut to Australians
Kiwi health officials paused the travel arrangement several times in response to COVID-19 outbreaks in different parts of Australia.
The bubble was also unpopular in New Zealand.
While scenes of long-awaited family reunions pulled at the heartstrings, most Kiwis feared the bubble would see the return of COVID-19 in the community.
This week, a poll conducted by Labour’s pollsters showed 54 per cent of New Zealanders viewed the opening ‘as the wrong thing to do’.
The bubble was unpopular in New Zealand with a poll conducted by Labour’s pollsters showed 54 per cent of New Zealanders viewed the opening ‘as the wrong thing to do’
Just 29 per cent of Kiwis – and just 24 per cent of Labour voters – approved of the bubble.
Ironically, the trans-Tasman bubble saw hundreds of thousands of travellers between Australia and New Zealand without spreading coronavirus.
Instead, it was a leak from New Zealand’s border regime last month that produced NZ’s first major outbreak in a year.
Instead of the return of quarantine-free travel, New Zealand will open up thousands of spaces in its quarantine regime, known as MIQ, for Australian-based Kiwis to come home.
Flag carrier Air New Zealand said on Friday it will operate ‘a limited number of quarantine flights’ across the Tasman for eager travellers.
Those travellers will need to spend two weeks in quarantine, and pay the costs as per each jurisdiction’s policy.
‘We understand this continues to be a very distressing time for people trying to get home,’ Air NZ executive Leanne Geraghty said.
‘We’re committed to doing everything we can to get customers back to where they need to be as safely and quickly as possible.’