Tottenham 2-1 Brighton: Brennan Johnson scores stoppage time winner  to complete comeback victory after Pascal Gross’ penalty initially put Roberto de Zerbi’s side in control

  • Tottenham have moved back into the Champions League places after a 2-1 win
  • Pascal Gross initially put the impressive visitors ahead with a first half penalty
  • Arsenal fans have gone from over-celebrating to overreacting… their team HAVE to back up Liverpool win – It’s All Kicking Off podcast

Ange Postecoglou has waited months to unleash his full repertoire of attacking options and, when he did, they delivered him a dramatic victory in the sixth minute of added time.

Brennan Johnson scored the winning goal, hurtling into the penalty area to convert a sweeping counterattack out of defence featuring James Maddison, Richarlison and a cross from Heung-min Son.

Earlier, Pascal Gross had fired the visitors into a first-half lead from the penalty spot before Spurs fought back and deserved the equalised, scored by Pape Matar Sarr in the 61st minute.

Brighton created the best of the chances in a frenetic final phase of the game, but substitute Johnson made the decisive late contribution, clinching all three points and lifting Tottenham back into the Premier League’s top four.

Brighton tore Spurs apart at the Amex at the end of December and set off here as if determined to do the same again. Less than a minute had passed when Guglielmo Vicaro made his first save of the game, flying to his right to deny Danny Welbeck.

Brennan Johnson scored in the sixth minute of stoppage time to rescue a 2-1 comeback win for Tottenham

It was the type of chance to illustrate Tottenham’s vulnerabilities at the back. Welbeck pounced on a slip by Micky van de Ven on halfway, advanced into the space and beat Rodrigo Bentancur as he came sliding by on desperate mission to recover.

Brighton’s penalty came when Bentancur lost the ball on the edge of his own penalty area. Gross took it from him and Van de Ven tripped Welbeck. With penalty expert Joao Pedro out injured, Gross stepped up to take responsibility from the spot and sent Vicario the wrong way.

Roberto de Zerbi was absent, serving a touchline ban and watching from home after invasive dental surgery. He must have been delighted with the start even if it was painful to smile.

Spurs summoned a response and dominated until half time without finding an equaliser. Jason Steele produced fine saves to frustrate Richarlison, released by a wonderful Maddison pass, and Dejan Kulusevksi.

Maddison went close with a curling shot and Richarlison turned another shot wide at the near post as he met a low cross by Timo Werner.

Even when under pressure, the visitors were dangerous on the break.

Vicario produced another strong save to stop Kaoru Mitoma stretching the lead. Mitoma, appearing in club colours for the first time since Christmas after injury and international duty with Japan at the Asian Cup, raced onto a pass from Adam Lallana but could not beat the Spurs ‘keeper from a tight angle.

Lallana had become embroiled in a personal dispute with Cristian Romero, who took the former England international out twice in quick succession in midfield. The second occasion, an off-the-ball body-check, angered Lallana.

Brighton resisted until the 61st minute, when Tottenham’s mounting pressure finally told. Kulusevski released Sarr who tried to cut a pass square across goal to Richarlison.

Lewis Dunk slid in and intercepted, diverting the ball against a post and the rebound came back to Sarr, who tucked it into the net, his third goal of the season.

Postecoglou sent on Son and Yves Bissouma, both back from international duty, as he made changes but his team lost some of their impetus after the goal.

Brighton recovered from fluency, creating a couple of clear chances via the trickery of Mitoma on the left. Ansu Fati turned one wide and Facundo Buonanotte had the other deflected wide before Johnson completed the fightback.