Tim Tszyu slams ‘coward’ rival as Australian superstar jets off to the United States ahead of mega-fight against Keith Thurman

  • Tim Tszyu has moved on from fighting Jermell Charlo 
  • He claims the American is ‘a coward’ 
  • Tszyu has set off for the US to prepare for his next fight 

No longer thirsting for a piece of ‘coward’ Jermell Charlo, boxing star Tim Tszyu has set his sights on turning America into ‘Tszyu-SA’.

With a one-way ticket to Las Vegas, the undefeated Sydney slayer is set to enter the ring against two-time world champion Keith ‘One Time’ Thurman, headlining the mega-money pay-per-view blockbuster on March 30.

Tszyu had been chasing a unification title fight against Charlo since 2022 but has been twice cancelled on by the former undisputed divisional king.

Saying bon voyage to Australia on Monday, the 29-year-old gave a departing sledge to the American at Sydney International Airport.

‘I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m never going to fight him because he’s a bit of a coward and finally, all the sanctioning bodies are realising that he’s a fraud,’ Tszyu said.

Tim Tszyu says he is no longer interested in fighting a former rival 

The Australian is on his way to the United States to prepare to fight Keith Thurman

The Australian is on his way to the United States to prepare to fight Keith Thurman

‘He just stopped fighting and it’s unfair for the rest of the division. It’s held us all up for two, three years.

‘Let him go into hiding and into his little holiday. He’s not on the radar at all for anyone.

‘I’m even more happier now that it’s Keith Thurman – bigger name, calibre of fight (is) bigger.’

Thurman has not fought since coming out on top against compatriot Mario Barrios in February 2022 but Tszyu won’t make the mistake of underestimating the American.

The 35-year-old has only lost once in his career – to the then-41-year-old Manny Pacquaio in 2019 via split decision.

Tszyu’s meeting with Thurman at T-Mobile Arena in boxing’s Sin City will also be at 155-pound catchweight – one pound over his super-welterweight limit.

Having struggled to find opponents after retaining his WBO world title with a masterclass win over American Brian Mendoza on the Gold Coast in October, Tszyu (24-0, 17KOs) is prepared to move up a division to welterweight to secure the major fights he craves.

But Tszyu labelled Jermell Charlo a 'coward' amid lots of back and forth between the pair

But Tszyu labelled Jermell Charlo a ‘coward’ amid lots of back and forth between the pair

Though a non-title showdown, a victory over Thurman could set up a career-defining super fight against the likes of pound-for-pound king Terence Crawford (40-0, 31KOs) and fellow American Errol Spence (28-1, 22KOs).

‘I love Australia but I’m not the type of guy that waits. If I’m going to be waiting six to 12 months for a fight, that’s not going to be me,’ Tszyu said.

‘Belts are belts – I’m going for history-making stuff, pinch yourself moments, YOLO moments.

‘(Thurman’s) resume is much higher. I completely agree with that but he’s never faced a Tim Tszyu.’

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk