This is the terrifying moment a knifeman who slit a 10-year-old boy’s throat, stabbed two adults and ran over a five-year old girl in random attacks was caught on camera as he is jailed for life.
Carlos Racitalal, 33, was convicted of four counts of attempted murder following four separate incidents in Leicester in January this year.
Shocking CCTV footage released by police shows him sprinting down a street carrying a knife after attacking a man in his 70s.
He also knifed a boy, 10, and a woman in her 30s, and hit a girl, five, with a car, leaving her with a broken nose, cuts and bruises.
All his victims were hospitalised before being discharged days later.
CCTV footage, above, released by Leicestershire Police shows Carlos Racitalal, 33, running down a street holding a large blade after stabbing a man in his 70s
Police were initially called to reports the 10-year-old boy, who has not been identified, had been stabbed at 5.30pm on January 18 in Belper Street, Leicester.
The boy, who had been saving a parking space for his mum in the street, said he was grabbed by a man who then attacked him before running off.
He suffered a slash wound to his neck and was taken to hospital where he underwent surgery. He was discharged from hospital two days later.
After Racitalal was sentenced to a minimum tariff of more than 20 years, his family released a statement through police speaking about the trauma they were still going through.
They said: ‘Seeing our young child being attacked on that horrific day was like living a nightmare for us. It is something which no-one should ever have to go through.
‘We have watched our boy suffering unimaginable pain and the events of that day still remain with us now and still scare us. We still have sleepless nights from it.
‘Life will simply never be the same for us. We do not wish for anyone to ever go through what we have been through since that day.
‘All of the attacks which were carried out by the defendant were terrible and horrific for all the victims involved and for their families.
‘We just wish and pray that they had not happened to anyone and our prayers remain with all of those who have been affected.
‘We would like to thank everyone who helped us on the day of the incident and during the investigation since including Leicestershire Police, East Midlands Ambulance Service and the Crown Prosecution Service.’
During enquiries into the stabbing, the suspect was linked to two similar incidents.
A woman, in her 30s, suffered a slash wound to the back of the head on Doncaster Road in Leicester on January 14 this year.
She was walking at about 7:30pm with two young children when she felt something sharp to the back of her head.
She described seeing a person holding a knife, with a yellow handle, who ran away.
A man in his 70s was cut on the back of his head and slashed on his hands on January 16 in Dean Road, Leicester.
While walking along he reported being hit to the head by a person who then ran away.
The man’s family said: ‘We would like to say a big thank you to the prosecuting team and to everyone else involved in the case. We also thank the jury for reaching the right verdict.
‘No sentence will ever be long enough for this calculating, evil man but at least our dad, and the rest of the families affected by these brutal attacks, now have some form of justice.
‘Carlos Racitalal has shown no remorse at all for his vicious crimes and we are now safer knowing that this dangerous man is locked up.’
Members of the Leicestershire Police Tactical Support Team can be seen searching drains for a weapon following the series of random attacks. Racitalal has been jailed for life
A CCTV image of the defendant released on January 20 led to him handing himself in at Mansfield House police station a few hours later where he was arrested.
The defendant was carrying a rucksack at the time of his arrest which was the same as one seen in CCTV images from the incidents.
He was then linked to a fourth incident in a car park in Exploration Drive, Leicester, just after 11.30am on January 2.
A five-year-old girl was hit from behind by a car which then left the scene.. She was taken to hospital following the collision after suffering injuries including a broken nose, cuts and bruises.
The car involved in the collision had been linked to the defendant at the time of the incident and the defendant denied responsibility to officers.
During an interview following his arrest on January 20, Racitalal denied being responsible for any of the incidents, denied being in contact with any of the victims and denied being in possession of a knife.
A search of defendant’s bedroom found a large kitchen knife wrapped in a pillowcase on the bed and a yellow handled Stanley-style knife was also found in a box on the bed.
Racitalal was charged with all the offences and remanded into custody.
Detective Inspector Tim Lindley said: ‘This was an extremely complex investigation with very distressing circumstances.
‘Racitalal is an extremely dangerous man who had no concern, regard or remorse for any of his victims, who ranged from young children to an elderly man.
‘Racitalal carried out his attacks with weapons including knives and a car, before then running away or driving off from the scene.
‘The dedication and commitment of officers and staff both in the investigative team and across force led to these incidents being linked.
There was an increased police presence in the area with patrols speaking to local residents following the attacks. Racitalal was charged with all the offences and remanded into custody
‘The team then worked tirelessly around the clock determined to gather the evidence and find the person responsible.
‘My thoughts and thanks are with the victims of these attacks, for their bravery, patience and co-operation during an extremely traumatic time.
‘I hope this court result helps in some small way as they continue to move forward in their lives.’
He was found guilty of the four offences on Thursday and of three counts of possession of a bladed article.
He was handed four life imprisonment sentences to be served concurrently with a minimum term of 22 years and six months at Leicester Crown Court yesterday.
Mr Justice Linden told the court: ‘I wholeheartedly agree that the work of the police in this case in keeping the public safe is to be commended.
‘What has struck me about this case: had there not been such a thorough and prompt police investigation, particularly regarding the work done in relation to the CCTV, the defendant would most likely still be at large – as his victims were unable to identify their attacker.
‘In all likelihood the thoroughness of the police work on the CCTV is likely the basis upon which the jury have convicted.’