Jon Rahm fears for the Ryder Cup with American and European stars joining the Saudi-backed LIV Golf Series as world No 2 admits it’s ‘one of my biggest concerns’ and hopes the ‘essence’ of biennial event is not lost
- World No 2 Jon Rahm is concerned about future of the Ryder Cup amid civil war
- Some American and European stars have defected to the LIV Golf Series
- They are running the risk of not being able to play in the Ryder Cup next year
- The PGA Tour have already banned stars competing in Saudi-backed league
Spanish golfer Jon Rahm has expressed his concerns over the future of the Ryder Cup following the launch of the controversial Saudi breakaway LIV Series.
The new format, which kicked-off with a £20million event at the Centurion Club last week, has dominated the sport for months.
American and European stars playing in the brand new competition are running the risk of not being able to turn out at the biennial showpiece.
World No 2 Rahm is fearing for the Ryder Cup – with stars banned by the PGA and players uncertain of their futures with the DP World Tour.
‘The Ryder Cup is the biggest attraction the game has to bring new people in,’ he said, as reported by BBC Sport.
‘I hope we don’t lose the essence and the aspect that the Ryder Cup is. That’s one of my biggest concerns.
World No 2 Jon Rahm fears for the future of the Ryder Cup amid golf’s ongoing civil war
Team USA won last Ryder Cup in 2021 but stars are running risk of not being able to compete
‘It’s an event we all play for free, and it’s one of our favourite weeks, win or lose. I think that says a lot about the game and where I wish it would be at.’
PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan wasted no time in letting all 17 players competing in St Albans know that they were being suspended as he sent a memo within half an hour of LIV Golf’s opening event last Thursday.
While the DP World Tour broke their silence on Tuesday, stating that they are weighing up the options.
PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan wasted no time in suspending LIV Golf Series players
The PGA Tour sent a memo within half an hour of LIV Golf’s opening event last Thursday
‘Because of the complexity of the situation we are still evaluating an overall course of action,’ a memo sent to European Tour players read.
The DP World Tour is in line to make a final call on Saudi rebels on June 23 with golf’s civil war ongoing.
Team USA could lose stars Dustin Johnson, Bryson DeChambeau and Patrick Reed for the 2023 Ryder Cup, while European legends Sergio Garcia, Ian Poulter and Lee Westwood have joined the breakaway circuit.
The LIV Series has an eye-popping £180m prize pot and the ability to offer golf’s stars lucrative mega-money deals, but Rahm is not interested in joining.
‘Part of the format is not really appealing to me,’ he added. ‘Shotgun [start] three days to me is not a golf tournament, no cut. It’s that simple.’
Rory McIlroy, who has been vocal in critcising the controversial event, said he was ‘disappointed’ by the likes of Phil Mickelson and Co leaving for rebel LIV Golf Invitational Series after initially stating they won’t and he also told Charl Schwartzel his win in maiden Saudi-backed rebel event ‘meant nothing’ earlier this week.