Rollercoaster victim Shylah Rodden has taken a major step on her long road to recovery having finally been discharged from hospital.
Ms Rodden had been bedridden at the Royal Melbourne Hospital since a rollercoaster ploughed into her at the city’s Royal Show on September 24.
Daily Mail Australia has contacted the Royal Melbourne Hospital and Ms Rodden’s family for confirmation of her discharge.
While a Royal Melbourne Hospital spokeswoman refused to comment to Daily Mail Australia, Melbourne’s Herald Sun reported the hospital had confirmed Ms Rodden was no longer a patient under their care.
Shylah Rodden was critically injured in the tragic accident in September
Horrifying footage shows Shylah Rodden (pictured in black) moments before being hit by the Rebel Coaster at the Melbourne Royal show on September 24
Ms Rodden faces years of rehabilitation after suffering a massive brain injury when she was flung nine metres into the air by the fast-moving ride while trying to retrieve a dropped phone.
Arnold Thomas & Becker, lawyers for Ms Rodden, told the Herald Sun she had been moved from hospital to another health care facility.
A spokesperson from the law firm said: ‘Whilst this indicates that her condition has stabilised, the injuries she has sustained remain life-changing.’
Investigations into the accident remain ongoing, with WorkSafe still assessing if any charges are to be issued against the ride operator.
Shylah’s father Alan Rodden told Daily Mail Australia soon after the incident that his daughter had suffered life-changing injuries.
‘I can’t talk to my daughter. She’s going to be in a coma for quite a while,’ he said.
‘The injuries are horrific. Horrific. She’s brain damaged. It’s pelvic, her arms, legs, back, neck – there’s hardly a thing that’s not broken. I just can’t work out how the hell so much damage has been done.
‘Even the doctors have said they haven’t seen anything as bad as this for a long time.’
While Shylah’s condition has improved, close friends of hers told Daily Mail Australia latge last year she remained trapped in her body, unable to communicate with anyone.
Shylah Rodden (pictured) suffered ‘life-changing’ injuries after being hit by the rollercoaster
Shylah Rodden faces a long battle to recovery after being hit by a rollercoaster in September
A Melbourne Royal Show spokeswoman claimed ‘the safety and well-being of our visitors to the show continues to be our number one priority’ (pictured, the Royal Melbourne Show)
Her supportive family remain committed to caring for her throughout her rehabilitation.
The Rodden family endured a nightmare end to 2022 and face further anguish on the long road ahead.
Trolls have mercilessly added to the family’s grief, with people continuing to slam Ms Rodden’s actions.
So vile has been the abuse, a video of Ms Rodden being hit by the rollercoaster went viral after being posted on TikTok accompanied by ridiculous music.
A GoFundMe fundraiser established to help with her recovery has now raised more than $37,000.
The money is just a drop in the ocean to what will be needed to keep her comfortable for the remainder of her life.
A friend in close contact with Ms Rodden and her family told Daily Mail Australia the money raised from the fundraiser would go towards helping her long road to recovery.
‘People are under the impression that this money is just for her family. But people need to know this money is for Shylah’s recovery,’ the friend said.
‘This money will go towards her therapy, her rehabilitation, things they need to change around the house for showering and toilet needs.’
Questions over the height of fences around the ride (pictured) remain unanswered by Show management
On the day she was struck by the rollercoaster, Ms Roddenhad been working at a friend’s stall at the Melbourne Royal Show.
The pair had been on a break when they decided to go on a few rides to kill time.
It is understood Ms Rodden dropped her phone while on the rollercoaster and police believe she walked onto the tracks of the high-speed ride to retrieve the device.
Government sources told Daily Mail Australia last year that whatever drove Ms Rodden to jump onto the tracks was not a concern of the safety watchdog.
It is understood WorkSafe is investigating what the ride’s operators were doing when Ms Rodden made her way onto the tracks.
‘Her toxicity levels are not relevant to the investigation into whether the duty holder was doing everything reasonably practicable to provide a safe and healthy workplace,’ a source told Daily Mail Australia.
A WorkSafe inspection concluded that The Rebel Coaster was ‘safe’ to re-open just days after the accident, allowing operators to re-open the ride to the public.
The move was slammed at the time by Ms Rodden’s family, who branded it ‘shameful’.
A Melbourne Royal Show spokeswoman told Daily Mail Australia at the time that WorkSafe had declared the ride was safe to be re-opened.