Real Madrid have confirmed the club are taking legal action over the ‘hate crime’ suffered by Vinicius Jnr after the forward was subjected to racist abuse during their match against Valencia on Sunday.
The Brazilian forward was subjected to vile chanting from Valencia supporters at the Mestalla Stadium, as the hosts claimed a 1-0 win over Real Madrid.
Vinicius Jnr was sent off in added time at the end of the match after striking out Hugo Duro during a melee, with the 22-year-old appearing visibly upset as he left the pitch.
He took to Twitter afterwards to declare that Spanish football has reached a new low after previously having a league that was the envy of Europe.
Vinicius Jnr’s comments followed him being the target of racist abuse on multiple occasions during the season.
Real Madrid star Vinicius Jr was subjected to racist abuse against Valencia on Sunday evening
The club reportedly may pursue legal action if LaLiga, led by Javier Tebas, fail to take action
Vinicius Jr hit out at the lack of action from LaLiga and the Spanish federation to tackle racism
In a statement, Real Madrid confirmed the club has filed a complaint to the State Attorney General’s Office over the ‘hate crime’.
‘Real Madrid CF shows its strongest revulsion and condemns the events that took place yesterday against our player Vinícius Junior,’ a statement read.
‘These facts constitute a direct attack on the coexistence model of our social and democratic State of law.
‘Real Madrid considers that such attacks also constitute a hate crime, for which reason it has filed the corresponding complaint with the State Attorney General’s Office, specifically with the Prosecutor’s Office against hate crimes and discrimination, so that the facts can be investigated and clear responsibilities.
‘Article 124 of the Spanish Constitution establishes the functions of the Public Prosecutor’s Office to promote the action of justice in defense of legality and the rights of citizens and the public interest.
‘For this reason, and given the seriousness of the events that occurred, Real Madrid has turned to the State Attorney General’s Office, without prejudice to its appearance as a private prosecution in the proceedings that are being initiated.’
According Marca, Real had viewed the abuse suffered by Vinicius Jnr on Sunday as the ‘last straw’ by Real Madrid.
Vinicius Jnr hit out at both LaLiga and the Spanish Football Federation in a social media post following Sunday’s match, with the Brazilian criticising their lack of action to combat racist abuse.
Real boss Carlo Ancelotti revealed he told the referee to ‘stop the match’ amid the racist abuse
Real Madrid chiefs would reportedly have backed Ancelotti had his side walked off the pitch
‘It wasn’t the first time, nor the second, nor the third. Racism is normal in LaLiga,’ he wrote.
‘The competition thinks it’s normal, the Federation does too and the opponents encourage it. I’m so sorry.
‘The championship that once belonged to Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Cristiano and Messi today belongs to racists. A beautiful nation, which welcomed me and which I love, but which agreed to export the image of a racist country to the world.
‘I’m sorry for the Spaniards who don’t agree, but today, in Brazil, Spain is known as a country of racists. And unfortunately, for everything that happens each week, I have no defense. I agree. But I am strong and I will go to the end against racists. Even if far from here.’
LaLiga president Javier Tebas responded to the comments by claiming the winger had failed to turn up to multiple meetings to discuss the issue.
Vinicius Jr issued at rebuke to Tebas, insisting ‘I’m not your friend to talk about racism. I want actions and punishments.’
Tebas gave a further response where he defended both Spain and LaLiga, with the official claiming the league is attempting to combat racism within its powers.
‘Neither Spain nor LaLiga are racist, it is very unfair to say that,’ Tebas wrote.
LaLiga president Javier Tebas said they are attempting to combat racism within its powers
‘From LaLiga we denounce and persecute racism with all the harshness within our powers.
‘This season racist insults have been reported 9 times (8 of them have been for insults against @vinijr). We always identify the madmen and file the complaint with the sanctioning bodies. It doesn’t matter how few they are, we are always relentless.
‘We cannot allow the image of a competition that is above all a symbol of union between peoples to be tarnished, where more than 200 black players in 42 clubs receive the respect and affection of all the fans every day, being racism an extremely specific case (9 complaints) that we are going to eradicate.’
Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti, who declined to talk about the match to instead focus on the abuse, said he had called on the referee to halt the game.
‘I told him he has to stop the match,’ Ancelotti said. ‘He told me that the protocol says that you have to report it, but he has been insulted from the first minute.
‘Stop the match. For me, it’s to stop the match. It’s clear that this can’t go on, it’s impossible. He is the player who receives the most fouls and the most insults.’
Marca reported that Real Madrid would have backed Vinicius Jnr had he asked to be substituted and Ancelotti had he decided to take his players off the pitch.
Vinicius Jnr has been subjected to racism from rival fans on numerous occasions this season, with arguably the most high-profile incident coming when his team faced arch-rivals Atletico Madrid in September.
Atletico supporters allegedly called him a ‘monkey’ when the sides faced each other at the Wanda Metropolitano Stadium, but a Spanish prosecutor later concluded that the chants ‘did not constitute a crime’ as they ‘lasted only a few seconds’.
Vinicius Jnr was targeted by further racist chants from Valladolid fans in January, and Mallorca and Osasuna supporters the following month, leading to LaLiga filing complaints to the courts.