Rapist 62, is jailed for nine years after ‘traumatic’ sex attack on three-year-old girl


Stranger, 62, who snatched a three-year-old girl and raped her just minutes after she had been separated from her family during day out on Isle of Wight is jailed for nine years

  • Graham Medway, 62, from Freshwater area, pleaded guilty to attacking the girl 
  • Medway initially denied raping the child on August 31 but later confessed 
  • Broad-daylight attack has changed the victim’s behaviour, her mother said
  • Medway was jailed for 9 years , with 5 years of extended licence upon his release

Graham Medway, 62, pleaded guilty to raping a three-year-old girl while she was on a family day out on the Isle of Wight

A pedophile who raped a three-year-old girl while she was on a family day out on the Isle of Wight has been jailed for nine years.

Graham Medway, 62, pleaded guilty to attacking the girl, who had become separated from her family for a matter of minutes, in Yarmouth.

Medway, from the Freshwater area, initially denied raping the girl on August 31 but later confessed after being handed DNA evidence.

The horrific broad-daylight attack in a wooded area of Fort Victoria Country Park has changed the victim’s behaviour, her mother said in a heart-breaking statement read out to the court.

The girl – who cannot be named for legal reasons – is now aggressive and defiant and the family feel ‘overwhelming guilt’. 

The statement, read out by prosecutor David Richards, said: ‘Our job is to keep her safe but as a result of this man’s actions we have an overwhelming guilt that we failed to protect her and keep her safe. 

‘This has changed our lives.’ 

Medway was handed a nine-year prison sentence, with a further five years of extended licence upon his release, at Isle of Wight Crown Court on Friday. He will serve at least two thirds of the jail term before he can be considered for parole. 

Medway was handed a nine-year prison sentence, with a further five years of extended licence upon his release. Pictured: Fort Victoria Country Park where Medway attacked the girl

Medway was handed a nine-year prison sentence, with a further five years of extended licence upon his release. Pictured: Fort Victoria Country Park where Medway attacked the girl

The horrific broad-daylight attack in a wooded area of Fort Victoria Country Park (police cordons at the scene, pictured) has changed the victim's behaviour, her mother said in a heart-breaking statement read out to the court

The horrific broad-daylight attack in a wooded area of Fort Victoria Country Park (police cordons at the scene, pictured) has changed the victim’s behaviour, her mother said in a heart-breaking statement read out to the court

Judge Roger Hetherington told him: ‘I have little doubt that you were loitering in the park area waiting for this sort of opportunity…

‘You present a significant risk to members of the public of serious harm by the commission of further specified offences.’ 

Detective Chief Inspector Liam Davies, who led the investigation, said: ‘I am so pleased that we have been able to secure justice for the young girl and her family in this case.

Police cordoned off public toilets and nearby woodland after the youngster was attacked

Police cordoned off public toilets and nearby woodland after the youngster was attacked

The child was assaulted at Fort Victoria Country Park on August 31. Pictured: A police cordon at the scene after the attack

The child was assaulted at Fort Victoria Country Park on August 31. Pictured: A police cordon at the scene after the attack

‘I want to formally thank them for their brave support as well as the public for their overwhelming response to our appeals. Both have been pivotal in achieving a successful conviction.

‘It is also important to recognise the efforts of staff across the Constabulary who worked around the clock away from their families to ensure we were able to get this dangerous man off our streets’.

Superintendent Sarah Jackson – district commander for the Isle of Wight- said: ‘The officers involved in this awful case worked tirelessly to bring the investigation to the point we have reached today.

Medway, from the Freshwater area, initially denied raping the girl on August 31 but later confessed after being handed DNA evidence. Pictured: Police at the scene of the August attack

Medway, from the Freshwater area, initially denied raping the girl on August 31 but later confessed after being handed DNA evidence. Pictured: Police at the scene of the August attack

‘Stranger assaults of this nature against children are extremely rare, and I hope the community feels reassured that when we receive these sorts of allegations, we will take them seriously and we will do everything in our power to bring those responsible to justice.’

An NSPCC spokesperson told Isle of Wight County Press: ‘Medway’s abuse will have had a profound effect on this child and her family, and it is vital they are provided with the full support they need to recover and move on from this.’

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk