Prince Harry and Meghan Markle ‘are pitching top secret Hollywood project to network execs’


Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are quietly shopping a top secret project to network executives as they settle into their new life in Hollywood, a new report claims. 

Sources tell Variety that the former royal couple began pitching their idea to ‘numerous’ media companies back in June, around the time that they purchased a sprawling estate in Santa Barbara.  

Very few details are known about the project, including the concept behind it and whether it would be a TV series or some other format.  

However, one source with knowledge of the idea said Harry and Meghan intend to serve as joint producers on the venture should it get picked up. 

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are quietly shopping a top secret project to network executives as they settle into their new life in Hollywood, a new report claims. The couple are pictured at the premiere of The Lion King in London in July 2019 

The insiders said that NBCUniversal was among the networks that heard the pitch. 

They said that the couple held a meeting with the media giant’s top executives, including NBCUniversal Content Studios Chairman Bonnie Hammer, who has known Meghan since her days on Suits.   

A friend of Meghan’s told Variety that she has no intention of acting in her project with Harry or in any other ventures.  

Rumors of Harry and Meghan seeking to gain a foothold in Hollywood have run rampant ever since the couple announced their plans to quit as senior royals, seek financial independence and move to North America in January. 

Meghan’s first post-Megxit job in showbiz was as a narrator of the Disney Plus docuseries Elephants, which came out in April. 

The 39-year-old Los Angeles native nabbed the job after Harry bragged about her voice-over skills to Disney chairman Bob Iger at the London premiere of The Lion King live-action remake last summer. 

Her fee for the project went entirely to the Elephants Without Borders charity – an organization dedicated to conserving wildlife and helps protect the animals from poaching. 

Harry followed in her footsteps by appearing in a new Netflix documentary about about the Paralympic Games called Rising Phoenix. That film is set to air on August 26. 

Last year Harry announced that he was partnering with Oprah Winfrey on on an Apple TV+ docuseries about mental health. 

It’s unclear whether the couple pitched their secret project to Disney, Netflix or Apple TV+.  

Rumors of Harry and Meghan seeking to gain a foothold in Hollywood have run rampant ever since the couple announced their plans to quit as senior royals, seek financial independence and move to North America in January (file photo)

Rumors of Harry and Meghan seeking to gain a foothold in Hollywood have run rampant ever since the couple announced their plans to quit as senior royals, seek financial independence and move to North America in January (file photo)

Meghan's first post-Megxit job in showbiz was as a narrator of the Disney Plus docuseries Elephants, which came out in April. The 39-year-old pictured in a promotion for the film

Meghan’s first post-Megxit job in showbiz was as a narrator of the Disney Plus docuseries Elephants, which came out in April. The 39-year-old pictured in a promotion for the film 

Harry followed in her footsteps by appearing in a new Netflix documentary about about the Paralympic Games called Rising Phoenix. He is pictured in a trailer for the film

Harry followed in her footsteps by appearing in a new Netflix documentary about about the Paralympic Games called Rising Phoenix. He is pictured in a trailer for the film 

Shortly after the Duke and Duchess announced their intention to step back from royal duty, a senior Netflix executive said the streaming giant would like to work with them. 

Netflix’s chief content officer Ted Sarandos said at the Screen Actors Guild Awards in January that the streaming giant would like to work with Harry and Meghan, adding: ‘Who wouldn’t be interested? Yes, sure.’ 

The decision to work with Netflix is also a move reminiscent of former President Barack Obama and his lawyer wife Michelle. 

In January, sources confirmed the couple had discussed their plans with the Obamas and wanted to mimic the way they had managed to build a successful, but dignified, life for themselves after the White House.

Since leaving the White House, the Obamas have earned a small fortune by selling rights to their autobiographies and setting up their own production company, which has bagged a lucrative deal with Netflix. 

A source said: ‘They have found huge commercial success without actually looking like they are getting their hands dirty, to put it bluntly, and retaining their popularity.

‘In fact it is fair to say that their star has soared since leaving the White House, particularly Michelle’s, and this is something Meghan admires very, very much.’   

Meghan and Harry reportedly want to follow in the footsteps of former President Barack Obama and his wife Michelle, who are currently working with Netflix on several documentaries. Harry and Barack are pictured together in 2017

Meghan and Harry reportedly want to follow in the footsteps of former President Barack Obama and his wife Michelle, who are currently working with Netflix on several documentaries. Harry and Barack are pictured together in 2017

After stepping down as senior royals, Meghan and Harry signed with New York-based Harry Walker Agency in June, which represents the Obamas and the Clintons.   

Finding Freedom co-author Omid Scobie also claimed the couple have big plans for the next few years, and are basing their working model on the Obamas.

He said their plans were ‘not too dissimilar’ from what the former president created after leaving the White House and setting up Higher Ground production company.

He pointed to the Obama’s multiyear production deal with Netflix to produce films and documentaries covering topics like race, class and civil rights.  

Harry and Meghan’s public interests have been largely focused on social issues, environmental concerns and mental health – so it’s possible their project could be centered in those areas.   

Reports of the elusive project came days after it emerged that the couple had secretly purchased a private family home in Santa Barbara, ditching Tyler Perry’s 12-bedroom Beverly Hills mansion for ‘considerable privacy’.

The couple bought the sprawling nine-bedroom and 16-bathroom mansion in upscale Montecito for $14.65million on June 18.  

Property listings say the home took nearly five years to build and included a library, office, spa with a separate dry and wet sauna, a gym with a stripper pole, game room, arcade, theater, wine cellar and five-car garage. 

It also comes with a bevy of A-list neighbors who could help them achieve their Hollywood aspirations, including Ellen DeGeneres and Oprah.  

Reports of Harry and Meghan's elusive project came days after it emerged that the couple had secretly purchased a private family home in Santa Barbara (pictured)

Reports of Harry and Meghan’s elusive project came days after it emerged that the couple had secretly purchased a private family home in Santa Barbara (pictured)

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk