Police arrest children’s football coach for ‘inciting racial hatred’ over tweet to Marcus Rashford


A children’s football coach accused of tweeting England star Marcus Rashford with alleged racist abuse has been arrested, police have said today.

Nick Scott, 50, is accused of tweeting the Manchester-born forward to ‘get to ya own country’.

The message was posted following England’s Euro 2020 final defeat to Italy at Wembley on Sunday night.

Scott, from Powick, near Worcester, has previously denied tweeting the message to the 23-year-old star, instead saying his account was ‘hacked’.  

West Mercia Police said a 50-year-old man had been detained on suspicion of inciting racial hatred following reports of an inappropriate tweet posted on Sunday. 

A football coach accused of tweeting England star Marcus Rashford (pictured) with alleged racist abuse has been arrested, police have today revealed

The police say the man, who they have not named, has since been released under investigation.

Commenting on the inquiry, Inspector Pete Nightingale, from Worcester police station, said: ‘We encourage people to make these reports and are pleased with the speed at which we have been able to deal with this incident.

‘We continue to work with the local football community and have links with the local clubs to ensure that this behaviour is dealt with appropriately.’  

It comes after a tweet from Scott’s Twitter account Scottywwfc was directed at England star Rashford minutes after he missed a penalty in the shoot-out defeat to Italy on Sunday night. 

The tweet which was directed at the star, who last year was awarded an MBE for his anti-poverty campaigning, said: ‘Marcus Rashford that MBE needs burning ya fake. Pack them bags and get to ya own country.’

However Scott previously denied tweeting the message, telling Sun Online: ‘I didn’t send it mate – I’ve been hacked. I didn’t post it’.

It comes as, in a separate incident, it was revealed that police are investigating claims made by a Savills employee that his Twitter account had been hacked after the upmarket estate agent suspended him over a vile racist tweet posted about black England footballers.

Andrew Bone called in Greater Manchester Police after a tweet was published on his account following England’s penalty shoot-out defeat which said: ‘N*****s ruined it for us.’

The message was posted on the page of Mr Bone – a commercial building manager who lives in Sale, Cheshire – shortly after England players Bukayo Saka, Marcus Rashford and Jadon Sancho all missed their penalties.

After 37-year-old Mr Bone, who is based in Manchester, was widely accused of being a racist, the tweet was deleted. Then, a message on his Twitter page appeared which said: ‘Omg (oh my God), I haven’t said anything.’

His stepfather Robert Dutson then told MailOnline yesterday: ‘He didn’t post the remark. His account has been hacked. He has contacted the police about it. They are looking into it now.

‘He started getting comments saying he was racist. That is not him. He is not a racist. The tweet appears to have come from a device not used by this account before.’

 Mr Bone’s Twitter account, along with his LinkedIn page, have both been deleted. A previous tweet that was published on his account in March also surfaced yesterday.

Andrew Bone, 37, called in Greater Manchester Police

A racist tweet was published on Andrew Bone's Twitter account

Andrew Bone (left and right) called in Greater Manchester Police after a racist tweet was published on his Twitter account 

The message was posted on the page of Mr Bone shortly after three England players missed their penalties

The message was posted on the page of Mr Bone shortly after three England players missed their penalties

It said: ‘This race row is going too far, it’s turning into something that generations can’t or won’t resolve. It seems that only those of black origin have decided the world or those of white origin are against them, how does anyone resolve this?’

A spokesman for Greater Manchester Police said: ‘Greater Manchester Police has received complaints about a social media post following the Italy v England Euro 2020 final at Wembley.

‘Reports from across the UK are being collated by United Kingdom Football Policing Unit and the Metropolitan Police and will then be allocated to the relevant forces for further investigation if required.’

A source within the force also confirmed to MailOnline that the ‘hacking claim is being investigated’. 

And a Savills spokesman said: ‘Savills confirms that the staff member connected with the racist comments placed on Twitter claims that his account was taken over by a third party and that the matter is being referred to the Greater Manchester Police.

‘Savills has acted swiftly and confirms that the individual is suspended from duty pending the findings of this investigation, which is being progressed as a priority. Savills has a policy of zero tolerance on any form of racial abuse or discrimination.’

Speaking to the Manchester Evening News, the firm’s head of office James Evans said: ‘We were made aware of these appalling tweets and we are shocked by what we have seen.’

Asked if any member of staff had been suspended as a result of the tweets, he said: ‘We have to go through a proper procedure. We have to do it properly.’

Mr Evans said it was anticipated the company would issue a further statement once the investigation concludes.

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk