Pele has been hospitalised for last six days with an ‘undisclosed health problem’


Football legend Pele is ‘feeling very well’ after being hospitalised and kept in for six days following surgery to remove a tumour from his colon – days after the Brazil icon, 80, denied reports he had fainted

  • Last week, Pele denied reports he had fainted and said he was ‘in good health’
  • His business manager has now revealed Pele has been in hospital for six days
  • But Joe Fraga has said the issue is not serious and is no cause for concern 

Brazilian footballing legend Pele has revealed he has been in hospital to remove a tumour in his colon but the 80-year-old insists he is feeling ‘very well’.

The icon has been in hospital for six days and underwent surgery on Saturday.

The Globo news site in Brazil said Pele was undergoing routine examinations in Sao Paulo’s Albert Einstein Hospital when the undisclosed issue was detected. 

Pele has spent six days in hospital after having surgery to remove a tumour from his colon

Pele posted the above picture to social media last week while denying claims he had fainted

Pele posted the above picture to social media last week while denying claims he had fainted

And taking to social media, Pele allayed any fears over his health.

‘My friends, thank you very much for the kind messages,’ he wrote on Instagram. 

‘I thank God for feeling very well and for allowing Dr Fabio and Dr Miguel to take care of my health. Last Saturday I underwent surgery to remove a suspicious lesion in the right colon. The tumor was identified during the tests I mentioned last week.

‘Fortunately, I’m used to celebrating great victories alongside you. I will face this match with a smile on my face, a lot of optimism and joy for living surrounded by the love of my family and friends.’  

Earlier on Monday, Pele’s business manager Joe Fraga said there was no cause for concern.

‘Full battery of tests/scans/colonoscopy/blood etc,’ Fraga wrote in a message to Reuters. ‘He doesn’t do everything in one day.’

The scare came a few days after Pele was forced to refute reports he had fainted.

In an Instagram message accompanied by a smiling picture of the three-times World Cup winner, Pele wrote: ‘Guys, I didn’t faint and I’m in very good health. 

‘I went for my routine exams, which I had not been able to do before because of the pandemic. Let them know I don’t play next Sunday!’ 

Pele is regarded as one of the greatest footballers in history and is the only player to win three World Cups.

Pele is one of football's all-time greats, winning the World Cup three times - here, he is pictured celebrated in Mexico's Azteca Stadium after Brazil won the 1970 World Cup

Pele is one of football’s all-time greats, winning the World Cup three times – here, he is pictured celebrated in Mexico’s Azteca Stadium after Brazil won the 1970 World Cup

Last year his son said his father was depressed over his poor health and reluctant to leave the house because he cannot walk without assistance, although Pele later publicly denied that statement. 

Pele said: ‘I am good. I continue to accept my physical limitations in the best way possible but I intend to keep the ball rolling. 

‘I have good days and bad days. That is normal for people of my age. I am not afraid, I am determined, confident in what I do.’  

In 2018, Pele went into hospital due to exhaustion and withdrew from appearing at a dinner with the Football Writers Association in London. Prior to that, he also had issues with kidney stones.



Read more at DailyMail.co.uk