Urgent alert after music fan who went to Splendour in the Grass dies from meningococcal and another is fighting for their life amid fears of a highly contagious outbreak of the killer disease
- A man in his 40s has died from a rare but deadly disease in Sydney on Thursday
- He attended the Byron Bay Splendour in the Grass festival before he died
- Second person at the three-day music show has now also contracted disease
- Meningococcal disease can be mistaken for a cold or a rash but escalate rapidly
- Parents have been warned to stay vigilant as children can be at most risk
- Early detection can be life-saving, but ignoring symptoms can be fatal
A Sydney man in his 40s who was at the Splendour in the Grass festival last month has been killed by deadly meningococcal disease, NSW Health chiefs have revealed.
The lethal infection was only diagnosed after his death, and has now sparked an urgent alert for anyone who was at the Byron Bay music spectacular to watch for symptoms.
A second case has since been diagnosed in another person who was at Splendour.
Up to 50,000 a day attended the event, the first of its kind in three years, and all ticketholders were emailed by health officials to warn them of the possible outbreak.
‘We are urging people who attended the event in the North Byron Parklands on July 21 – 24 to be alert to the symptoms of meningococcal disease and act immediately if they appear,’ NSW Health said in a statement on Friday.
‘Although the disease is uncommon, it can be severe.’
A Sydney man in his 40s who was at the Splendour in the Grass festival last month has been killed by deadly meningococcal disease, NSW Health chiefs have revealed
The lethal infection was only diagnosed after his death, and has now sparked an urgent alert for anyone who was at the Byron Bay music spectacular to watch for symptoms
Splendour in the Grass was marred this year by appalling weather conditions which left frozen music fans drenched and covered in mud.
The disease thrives in cold wet conditions and is at its peak in late winter and early spring when is especially virulent in young children and those aged 15-25.
The disease is especially lethal among youngsters where the first sign is often a red rash and if it develops into meningitis, it can kill or cause limb amputations.
It’s linked to septicaemia which cuts off the blood supply to extremities like hands and arms or legs and feet, killing the flesh and forcing the limbs to be amputated.
Splendour in the Grass was marred this year by appalling weather conditions which left frozen music fans drenched and covered in mud
Sudden onset of fever
Rash of purple-red spots or bruises
Dislike of bright lights
Nausea and vomiting
Irritability and high-pitched crying in children
Refusal to eat in children
Difficulty waking in children
Source: NSW Health
Other early symptoms include the sudden onset of a fever or a stiff neck.
‘If you suspect meningococcal disease, don’t wait for the rash – see a doctor immediately,’ said Dr Jeremy Smith, Executive Director of Health Protection NSW.
‘Onset of meningococcal disease symptoms can appear suddenly and become very serious very quickly.’
While meningococcal disease can still be fatal within hours if left untreated, but vaccinations have helped kept its spread at bay.
Fifteen cases of meningococcal disease have been reported in NSW this year, but the most dangerous period for the disease is now in late winter and early spring.
Health chiefs have urged parents of children under five to be vigilant as they are most at risk, along with 15 to 25-year-olds.
Meningococcal bacteria spread between people in secretions originating in the back of the nose and the throat.
Coughing, kissing, or living with someone who carries the bacteria increases the chances of contracting the disease.
However, the bacteria are difficult to spread and can’t survive for long outside of the human body.
The meningococcal bacteria (pictured) already live in the throats of five to 25 per cent of the population believe authorities
Parents have been urged to have their kids vaccinated against the disease and be alert to meningococcal warning signs in their children
Meningococcal bacteria can’t easily be spread by sharing drinks, food or cigarettes, says NSW Health
Health authorities believe five to 25 per cent of people carry meningococcal bacteria at the back of their nose and throat without showing any illness or symptoms.