Nick Kyrgios reveals what he really thinks about Rafael Nadal’s withdrawal from the Australian Open

Nick Kyrgios has revealed it was heartbreaking for him to witness Rafael Nadal’s withdrawal from the Australian Open.

The Australian tennis star, 28, currently sidelined due to injury himself, sympathised with the Spanish legend’s situation.

‘I know how hard he would have worked in the last year getting healthy,’ Kyrgios said.

‘He wants to just play grand slams. That’s always been my fear is going out of the sport not on your terms where your body starts to tell you you’re maybe past it. And Rafa is someone who is so important to the sport and it just takes time. It broke my heart seeing that,’ he added.

Kyrgios took some time out on Thursday, enjoying a game of pickleball on the QT Rooftop with fellow tennis stars Naomi Osaka and Frances Tiafoe. 

Nick Kyrgios has revealed it was heartbreaking for him to witness Rafael Nadal ‘s withdrawal from the Australian Open  

'I know how hard he would have worked in the last year getting healthy,' Kyrgios said. Pictured: Rafael Nadal

‘I know how hard he would have worked in the last year getting healthy,’ Kyrgios said. Pictured: Rafael Nadal

The Aussie tennis great mentioned that his wrist injury was progressing well and showing signs of improvement. 

‘When you’re injured people think you don’t do anything. I’m really excited and doing plenty of things off court, the positive is I can have a drink now and enjoy places like the QT Rooftop.’

It comes as the Canberra-born player says he will welcome any potential awkwardness with Boris Becker, with the tennis stars set to cross paths following their bitter war of words last year.

'I know how hard he would have worked in the last year getting healthy,' Kyrgios said

‘I know how hard he would have worked in the last year getting healthy,’ Kyrgios said

Eurosport announced earlier this week that Kyrgios and Becker, 56, are part of a star-studded lineup of big tennis names to share their views during the first grand slam of the year.

And fans were quick to note that things could get tense between the pair following their bitter feud at the end of last year, in which the Australian questioned the tennis legend’s legacy and used the German’s recent spell in jail as ammunition in their war of words.

But Kyrgios insists he will embrace the hostility should it arise, with the Australian eager to provide fans with compelling viewing.  

Becker's legacy was questioned by Kyrgios

He also mocked the German's stint in jail

Boris Becker (L) and Nick Kyrgios (R) are on a collision course ahead of the Australian Open

‘For the sport and for Eurosport, I actually think it’s really good because I think it will create a bit of tension there and people will tune in,’ he told Daily Mail Australia at QT Melbourne. 

‘At the end of the day I’m a very black and white person. I stand by my comments. I think Novak is the pinnacle of tennis. I think that no matter what generation goes up against Novak, he’ll come out on top.

‘Obviously some of these older guys, this older generation, they take it personal. I understand, my parents are old as well… they’re stubborn and stuck in their ways. 

‘I get it. I’m not going to sit here in 30 years time and say I can beat and compete with the best athletes in the world 30 years from now.

‘I’m going to see Boris, and I’m going to keep my stance and it’s going to be fun. I’m looking forward to it. Regardless, it’s going to be entertaining.’

Kyrgios will be on punditry duty for the tournament in Melbourne this year

Kyrgios will be on punditry duty for the tournament in Melbourne this year

Judging by Kyrgios’s comments, the pair have not cleared the air since their spat, which will make for all the more engrossing television.

Eurosport revealed the Canberra-born star will provide his ‘unique perspectives’ at the tournament.

‘To enhance the storytelling like never before, we’ve assembled one of the most impressive expert line-ups of tennis legends and superstars,’ Eurosport boss Scott Young said. 

‘We’re particularly excited to welcome Nick Kyrgios to our English language commentary team this year and know fans will benefit from his unique perspectives and closeness to the current crop of champions and competitors taking to the court this year.’

John McEnroe, Mats Wilander, Justine Henin, Alex Corretja, Barbara Schett, Tim Henman and Laura Robson willalso provide their insight at the Australian Open for Eurosport. 

But Kyrgios says he will welcome any awkwardness with the German legend

But Kyrgios says he will welcome any awkwardness with the German legend

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk