Naomi Osaka WITHDRAWS from French Open after her media boycott as world No 2 opens up on depression


Naomi Osaka, 23, PULLS OUT of French Open in wake of her media boycott as she says she is ‘taking time away from the court’ and reveals her depression and social anxiety struggles

  • World No 2 Naomi Osaka has pulled out of the rest of this year’s French Open 
  • The Japanese won her opening match against Patricia Maria Tig on Sunday 
  • But her boycott of media duties has overshadowed the start of the tournament 
  • The grand slams reacted strongly to Osaka’s move, and she has now pulled out 

Naomi Osaka has announced that she will be withdrawing from the French Open because of the furore caused by her boycott of media duties.

The 23-year-old world No 2 won her opening match against Patricia Maria Tig on Sunday but her decision not to take part in press conferences or interviews has been the biggest talking point of the tournament.

The grand slams reacted strongly to Osaka’s move, releasing a joint statement on Sunday that threatened her with potential disqualification and a ban from future tournaments should she not reconsider.

Naomi Osaka has announced that she will be withdrawing from this year’s French Open due to uproar caused by her refusal to do media duties

The world No 2 won her opening match against Patricia Maria Tig on Sunday

The world No 2 won her opening match against Patricia Maria Tig on Sunday

Osaka, who cited mental health reasons, wrote on Twitter: ‘Hey everyone, this isn’t a situation I ever imagined or intended when I posted a few days ago.

‘I think now the best thing for the tournament, the other players and my well-being is that I withdraw so that everyone can get back to focusing on the tennis going on in Paris.’

Osaka said she had suffered bouts of depression since winning her first slam title at the US Open in 2018 and that talking to the media triggered anxiety.

‘I never wanted to be be a distraction and I accept that my timing was not ideal and my message could have been clearer,’ she continued on Twitter. ‘More importantly, I would never trivialise mental health or use the term lightly.

Naomi Osaka released a statement saying she would boycott the press at the French Open

The world No 2 cited mental health concerns as the reason behind her decision

Osaka released a statement earlier this week saying she would boycott the press at the French Open, citing mental health concerns as the reason behind her decision

‘The truth is that I have suffered long bouts of depression since the US Open in 2018 and I have had a really hard time coping with that.

‘Anyone that knows me knows I’m introverted, and anyone that has seen me at the tournaments will notice that I’m often wearing headphones as that helps dull my social anxiety.

‘Though the tennis press has always been kind to me (and I wanna apologise especially to all the cool journalists who I may have hurt), I am not a natural public speaker and get huge waves of anxiety before I speak to the world’s media.’

Osaka’s sister Mari attempted to explain more about her sibling’s stance with a post on the website Reddit, highlighting her feelings of vulnerability on clay, but then deleted her words and replaced them with an apology, saying she felt she had made things worse.

Osaka’s Twitter post continued: ‘So here in Paris I was already feeling vulnerable and anxious so I thought it was better to exercise self-care and skip the press conferences.

‘I announced it pre-emptively because I do feel like the rules are quite outdated in parts and I wanted to highlight that.

‘I wrote privately to the tournament apologising and saying that I would be more than happy to speak with them after the tournament as the slams are intense.

‘I’m gonna take some time away from the court now, but when the time is right I really want to work with the Tour to discuss ways we can make things better for the players, press and fans.’

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk