“We would encourage residents and businesses to prepare for being without power for potentially as long as seven days,” San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo said in a press conference Monday night.
Nearly 2 million people could be affected if there is a shutdown Wednesday, Liccardo said, as well as about 67 schools.
The city of San Jose had been preparing for a similar event since June, the mayor said.
“Some of what we need to do to get ready will in fact take years,” he said. “That is ensuring we have sufficient backup power generation, establishing microgrids where we can do so, things of that nature.”
In the meantime, he urged residents to shelter in place, as street lights and signals will not be working in the event of a power shutoff. He also encouraged households to create emergency plans and kits which include food and water for all family members and pets.
Late last month, PG&E shut off power to more than 48,000 northern California customers in precaution following dry and windy conditions. It was the second consecutive public safety power shutoff in that week, after the company had previously left about 24,000 customers across three northern California counties in the dark.
And in June, PG&E paid $1 billion in damages to local governments for blazes linked to its power lines and other equipment.
CNN’s Carma Hassan contributed to this report.