Man United ‘won’t be busy’ in the January transfer window insists Old Trafford chief… with the Red Devils focusing on outgoings including Jadon Sancho after spending £185m in the summer

  • Manchester United were busy in the summer window spending £185m  
  • It means there are unlikely to be any significant arrivals at the squad next month
  • REVEALED on It’s All Kicking Off: Man United’s January transfer window plans… and how the Sir Jim Ratcliffe takeover will impact them

Manchester United won’t be busy in the January transfer window, Old Trafford chief Collette Roche has confirmed.

Despite being restricted by Financial Fair Play regulations, United spent £185million in the summer on Rasmus Hojlund, Mason Mount, Andre Onana and Altay Bayindir, with Jonny Evans, Sergio Reguilon and Sofyan Amrabat also joining the club on short-term deals.

However, there are unlikely to be any significant arrivals next month with the club focussed on finding clubs for Donny van de Beek and Jadon Sancho.

Chief operating officer Roche told the latest meeting of the Fans Forum last week: ‘Looking ahead to the January transfer window, we are not expecting it to be particularly busy.

‘There will always be the possibility of deals around the edges of the squad, particularly in terms of finding opportunities for players who are not playing as much football as they would like.

Man United won’t be busy during the January transfer window despite their tough season

United have struggled despite spending £185m on the likes of Andre Onana (centre) and Rasmus Hojlund (right)

United have struggled despite spending £185m on the likes of Andre Onana (centre) and Rasmus Hojlund (right)

Chief operating officer Collette Roche said the club had to be 'careful' as 'this season has shown Financial Fair Play rules have real teeth'

Chief operating officer Collette Roche said the club had to be ‘careful’ as ‘this season has shown Financial Fair Play rules have real teeth’

‘However, we’ve always been consistent in saying that we do not see January as the optimal time to do business and our recruitment strategy remains focused on summer windows.

‘We’ve seen this season that Financial Fair Play rules have real teeth, so we have to be very careful to ensure that we remain compliant, and we will. But that means being really disciplined on spending going forward, with a balance between incomings and outgoings.’

Van de Beek is set to join Eintracht Frankfurt on loan until the end of the season with the option to make a permanent £12.8m move once he passes a medical with the German club.

United are desperate to move Sancho on after the winger spent almost four months training alone at Carrington following a fall-out with manager Erik ten Hag.

United are focusing on potential outgoings including Jadon Sancho (pictured) and Donny van de Beek

United are focusing on potential outgoings including Jadon Sancho (pictured) and Donny van de Beek

IT’S ALL KICKING OFF! 

It’s All Kicking Off is an exciting new podcast from Mail Sport that promises a different take on Premier League football, with a show every Monday and Thursday this season.

It is available on MailOnline, Mail+, YouTube , Apple Music and Spotify

Mail Sport revealed that United’s football director John Murtough flew to Saudi Arabia earlier this month to discuss potential deals for Sancho, Casemiro, Raphael Varane and Anthony Martial, although it’s understood that the majority of Saudi clubs won’t be spending heavily again until the summer.

Despite Sir Jim Ratcliffe’s £1.25billion investment, United’s budget will be limited again due to FFP and the £28m black hole left by their early exit from Europe.

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk