The legendary British makeup artist Charlotte Tilbury and her model and makeup exert niece Sofia have shared their tips for doing your makeup – however old you are.
The 47-year-old and her 18-year-old niece have a wealth of experience doing makeup backstage at catwalk shows and glamorous events, and have learned myriad tricks of the trade for achieving a vibrant, youthful glow.
Speaking exclusively to FEMAIL, the pair shared their tips for doing your makeup in every decade – as well as the beauty hacks every woman should try.
The legendary British makeup artist Charlotte Tilbury and her model and makeup exert niece Sofia have shared their tips for doing your makeup – however old you are (Charlotte pictured)
Sofia, 18 (pictured), is also a makeup artist and has modelled for countless brands despite being so young
Sofia (pictured) said in your teens and twenties, you need to set yourself up for your later years by looking after your skin and never sleeping in your makeup
How should you apply makeup in your teens and twenties?
Your teenage years and twenties are both a time of experimentation and finding out what suits you with makeup.
What are Sofia’s tricks for your teens and twenties?
1. Remember skincare is king: Get a dedicated and rigorous skincare regime established so you know what works for your skin.
2. Always take your makeup off: There is nothing that worsens the quality of your skin more down the track.
3. Don’t use too much foundation: Sofia said she sees too many women trying to conceal redness and blemishes, but they end up masking their beautiful skin.
4. Figure out what suits you: Whether it is a red lip or a smokey eye, find what works and make it your signature style.
5. Invest in some good quality makeup brushes: These will make a massive difference to how you apply your makeup.
But Sofia said you still use this time to set some good habits for later.
‘My main advice for teenagers and twenty-somethings is to take care of your skin as much as possible and get a rigorous and dedicated skincare routine down pat,’ she told Daily Mail Australia.
The 18-year-old explained she used to ‘really struggle’ with her skin, but establishing what worked after trial and error means applying her makeup is easier than it ever was.
‘You should also avoid ever sleeping with your makeup on and don’t go too heavy with the foundation,’ Sofia said.
‘I see so many young women trying to cover their blemishes or redness, but they end up masking their gorgeous skin with a thick, heavy blanket of foundation.’
Instead of slathering your face in makeup, Sofia said you want to aim for something with a light/medium coverage but which also offers a radiant, natural-looking glow.
‘I love Charlotte’s Airbrush Flawless Finish Foundation as it rolls over pores and smooths the overall look of the skin,’ Sofia said.
The 18-year-old (pictured) said too often she sees young women mask their beautiful skin with too much foundation; instead aim for a lighter look that has luminosity to let your skin shine
But, she added, you should always remember a little goes a long way and you may only need to conceal the areas where you need extra coverage.
Sofia also recommends during this time that you try and get on top of what suits you, whether it’s a feline flick eye or a red bombshell lip.
‘Your twenties is also the perfect decade to start investing in makeup brushes if you already haven’t too,’ she said.
‘Charlotte always says her brushes are like her hands and blending your makeup with the right tools makes all the difference.’
When it comes to your thirties and beyond, Charlotte (pictured) recommends that you look for products which are makeup and skincare hybrids
What about in your thirties and beyond?
What are Charlotte’s tricks for your thirties and beyond?
1. Look for skincare and makeup: Try to find skin and makeup hybrid products as these are the ones that will make you look younger.
2. Consider the texture of products: A cream will work well on your eyes, lips and cheeks, while something that is light and water-based will also allow your complexion to breathe.
3. Add a serum: In these decades, you absolutely need a serum in your routine – to be used morning and night.
4. Go lighter: Instead of black eyeliner, switch to brown for a softer look.
5. Perfect the feline flick: A feline flick with eyeliner will draw the gaze outwards and accentuate your eyes.
When it comes to your thirties, forties, fifties and beyond, Charlotte explained that you’re going to want your makeup to work a little harder, while also helping to make you look younger.
‘Look for products that are makeup and skincare hybrids during these decades – like my Airbrush Flawless Foundation,’ Charlotte said.
‘These sorts of products will work hard at nourishing your skin and reducing the appearance of wrinkles, while also hydrating and providing you with coverage.’
The makeup artist also said you should look at textures in your makeup at this time – she always looks for ‘sophisticated’ textures with subtle sparkle and a bit of pearlescence.
‘Lighter, water-based textures are always better for our complexions too, as they hydrate and let the skin breathe,’ she said.
Think creams for your eyes, lips and cheeks and brown eyeliner instead of black to soften your entire look.
The makeup artist (pictured) also said you should look at textures in your makeup at this time – she always looks for ‘sophisticated’ textures with subtle sparkle and a bit of pearlescence
If you could add one product to your regime at this time, Charlotte recommends a serum like her Magic Serum Crystal Elixir, which helps to add ‘bounce, plumpness and elasticity (pictured)
If you could add one product to your regime at this time, Charlotte recommends a serum like her Magic Serum Crystal Elixir, which helps to add ‘bounce, plumpness and elasticity’.
‘This has been the perfect addition to my personal skincare regime and I use it by massaging just a few drops into my skin with my fingertips,’ Charlotte said.
‘The instant hit of intense hydration makes my skin look and feel so glowy, and it makes makeup application so much easier.’
She also said a feline flick works well into these decades too, as it will help to accentuate your eyes and draw the gaze outwards with your face.
How to perfect the Charlotte Tilbury ‘feline flick’ with eyeliner
Charlotte shared how to do her perfect ‘feline flick’ with eyeliner (Sofia pictured)
* For a long time, Charlotte has been a fan of the ‘feline flick’ winged eyeliner look, to such an extent that it has become one of her signature looks and the most watched content on her YouTube channel.
* Speaking to FEMAIL, Charlotte said: ‘A feline flick can really lift and elongate the eyes, giving them the appearance of a more feline, seductive shape.’
* To do the feline flick, Charlotte said you need the right tools – a liquid eyeliner like her Feline Flick pen, a highlighter and a moisturiser like her Magic Cream to dab up mistakes.
* ‘Before you begin, start by adding a highlighter to the inner corner of the eye and underneath the bottom lash line, 1/3 or the way along the lash line to really open up and widen the look of the eyes,’ Charlotte said.
* ‘Then, to add shape to the eyes, go for a thinner feline flick as this will elongate the appearance of the eye and add more definition to the lash line,’ she said.
* You should take your liquid eyeliner and start in the inner corner of the eye, drawing as closely as possible to the lashline until you are 2/3 of the way out. From this point on, Charlotte recommends you thicken the line, sweeping the pen ‘up and out’.
* ‘Next, look in the mirror and draw a dot where you want your flick to end,’ she said. ‘This should be two millimetres up and out from the outer corner of your eye as a guideline. Compare them both and join the dots.’
* If you are wayward with the liquid eyeliner, the makeup artist recommends using a little bit of Magic Cream to clean up any mistakes.
Source: Charlotte Tilbury
Charlotte (pictured with Olivia Palermo) has looked after countless celebrities over the years, including Kate Moss and the Victoria’s Secret models
One of Charlotte’s top techniques she uses on Sofia (pictured) and others is ‘tapping’ your skincare into your complexion to stimulate the blood flow and collagen
What about the tricks all women need to know?
Besides her feline flick, Charlotte has all sorts of tips and tricks that she has picked up over the years she has been working with celebrities including Kate Moss, Olivia Palermo and the Victoria’s Secret models.
She said she thinks every woman should be able to contour with highlighter for sculpted cheekbones and, and recommends you use your highlighter on your cheekbones, temples, forehead and down the sides of the nose.
‘Putting highlighter in the right parts of the face will instantly help to sculpt it and make it look leaner and more defined,’ Charlotte said.
‘You can also use a bronze shade in the hollows of your cheeks by sucking in the cheeks and following the hollows. This will give you a natural contour.’
She also recommends you apply your skincare with a tapping sensation on your face, tapping it in around the eyes and towards the edge of your face.
‘This mimics a sort of massage and also stimulates the blood flow and collagen, helping to make you look younger,’ she said.
Charlotte’s Magic Serum Crystal Elixir, 30ml, is available now for $100.00, while the Magic Lip Oil Crystal Elixir is available for $56.00.
For more information, please click here.
What are Charlotte’s top five desert island products?
1. Magic cream moisturiser.
2. Magic serum crystal elixir.
3. Pillow Talk lipstick.
4. Eye palette.
5. Full Fat lashes mascara.
What are Sofia’s top five desert island products?
1. Lip cheat lip liner in Hot Gossip.
2. Hot Lips lipstick in Glowing Jen.
3. Magic cream moisturiser.
4. Brow Lift in Super Model.
5. Magic Away concealer.