Jake Paul has once again called out Canelo Alvarez in the immediate aftermath of the Mexican’s shock defeat to Dmitry Bivol, insisting he will beat the all-time great within three years.
A legacy-hungry Canelo dared to be great once more, having blasted his way through the super-middleweight division to become undisputed champion last year, taking on WBA (Super) light-heavyweight titleholder Bivol on Saturday night in Las Vegas.
The pound-for-pound No 1, certainly before the bout, anyway, was dominated throughout, however, as Bivol well and truly announced himself to the boxing world with a stunning unanimous decision victory.
Jake Paul has called out Canelo Alvarez (right) following his points defeat to Dmitry Bivol (left)
The American insisted he will beat Canelo within three years, also calling out Eddie Hearn (R)
A 6ft Bivol utilised his significant height and reach advantage throughout, with Canelo (5ft 8in) unable to cut the distance as the Russian worked relentlessly behind the jab, out-landing the Hall of Famer by 152 to 84 punches.
And Paul, who is taller than Bivol at 6ft 1in, insisted the outcome will be the same when he fights Canelo, having called out the Mexican previously on numerous occasions.
‘And just like that Canelo Alvarez loses to Dmitry Bivol,’ he said in a video posted on social media. ‘An amazing fight by Bivol. I’m two inches bigger than Bivol and 40lb heavier.
‘Give me three years and I take out Canelo in the same way. He was on the ropes like he won but he only won three rounds in the entire fight.
‘Eddie Hearn, f*** you, you can suck my d***. I’m coming and I’m beating Canelo in three f****** years, I put that on my mama.
‘Congrats to Dmitry Bivol, he showed Canelo is easily beatable by a bigger man which is what I’ve known for a long time.
‘Believe in yourself and don’t listen to those British s***bags like Eddie Hearn.’
Canelo was totally outclassed by Bivol, who retained his WBA (Super) light-heavyweight belt
Both fighters insisted they would be willing to jump into an immediate rematch after the fight
Paul launched into an X-rated rant in the immediate aftermath of Canelo’s second career loss
WARNING: EXPLICIT CONTENT
Paul and Hearn collided as ‘The Problem Child’ switched from boxer – of sorts – to promoter, playing an instrumental role as Katie Taylor defeated Amanda Serrano in an historic moment for women’s boxing last month.
The 25-year-old has since revealed he is set for a return to the ring, however, announcing he will compete in the squared circle on August 13. No opponent has yet been announced.
Paul is 5-0 as a professional and has knocked out all four of his opponents to date – having fought Tyron Woodley twice, emphatically stopping UFC legend in their December bout last year.
He had been due to face Tommy Fury – who pulled out due to injury – and the Brit is now a potential candidate for his next fight, alongside another former UFC star in Anderson Silva.
Paul claimed a stunning knockout win over Tyron Woodley in his last outing in December 2021
The American will return to the ring on August 13, with Tommy Fury a possible opponent
Hearn, who called Paul ‘average’ during a face-off ahead of the Taylor-Serrano bout, later revealed the American, even off camera, believes he can beat Canelo, describing him as ‘delusional’.
He told MMA Hour: ‘The problem is – I won’t be disrespectful, but at the same time I’m not gonna brown nose him because I’m just gonna be honest.
‘There are so many fighters out there that I would say are average. That’s not poor, that’s not good, that’s in the middle. So I’m saying that you’re an average professional fighter, that’s a massive compliment.
‘This is a guy who, he would say to me off camera, “In two years I’ll beat Canelo.” And I’ll sort of look around for a camera and realise there isn’t one, and I think, “Wow.”‘