I’m A Celebrity ‘WILL go ahead say bosses’ after Wales’ new strict lockdown rules


I’m A Celebrity bosses are ‘determined’ to get the show to air after their new Wales filming location was hit by fresh lockdown rules. 

According to The Sun, ITV producers will ‘keep ploughing on’ after Welsh health minister Vaughan Gething imposed strict rules in Conwy County. 

ITV were forced to move the filming location for their flagship series I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here from Australia to Gwrych Castle, spending millions in the process. 

Ploughing on: I’m A Celebrity bosses are ‘determined’ to get the show to air after their new Wales filming location was hit by fresh lockdown rules (pictured Gwrych Castle)

However, rumours surfaced earlier this week that the show was ‘under threat’ by the tougher restrictions in the Conwy County.   

A source told the publication: ‘This is just another roadblock for ITV but they are determined to get the show on air. It’s essential it goes out this year for the channel so they will be doing their utmost for viewers.

‘They’ll work towards that until someone says otherwise, the castle is essentially a workplace so they’re ploughing ahead at the moment unless there’s any further tightening of restrictions.’ 

Presenters: Ant McPartlin and Declan Donnelly made a 'quick trip to Wales' in search of the new I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! castle on Wednesday

Presenters: Ant McPartlin and Declan Donnelly made a ‘quick trip to Wales’ in search of the new I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here! castle on Wednesday

And a local government insider added: ‘The show is a big deal for the area so everyone is keen to get it on the road, it’s going to help the local economy hugely and helps put what was essentially a crumbling castle on the map. The locals are really excited. They hope it goes ahead.’

Meanwhile, The Mirror reports an ITV source told them bosses are ‘ploughing on’ for a November series air date, adding Coronation Street was filmed under lockdown restrictions.  

MailOnline has contacted ITV for comment.  

Tough: Welsh health minister Vaughan Gething imposed strict rules in Conwy County on Tuesday evening

Tough: Welsh health minister Vaughan Gething imposed strict rules in Conwy County on Tuesday evening

The new guidance for Conwy has been posted online by the Welsh government and states ‘people will no longer be able to form, or be in, an extended household (sometimes called a bubble)’.

‘This means meeting indoors with anyone who is not part of your household (people you live with) is not allowed at the moment, unless you have a good reason, such as providing care to a vulnerable person,’ the new rules explain.

Another rule states that ‘people will not be allowed to enter or leave the Conwy County Borough area without a reasonable excuse’. 

The restrictions come into force at 6pm on 1 October 2020 and will be kept under review.  

ITV have yet to confirm a start date for the new series but the show traditionally begins airing in November, giving the chance for local lockdown measures to ease in the coming weeks. 

The broadcaster has also had great success with filming their soaps Coronation Street and Emmerdale under strict guidelines and under COVID-secure measures, so are well-versed in the restrictions.   

Work in progress: Construction work continued on North Wales' 200-year-old Gwrych Castle this month, ahead of the November start date

Work in progress: Construction work continued on North Wales’ 200-year-old Gwrych Castle this month, ahead of the November start date

Bosses have reportedly forked out millions to make the 19th-century castle where this year’s series is being held in North Wales safe. 

It has apparently been a costly affair to transform the castle into a TV set, as workers installed electrics and pipes to provide the location with running water. 

According to reports, the star-studded line-up of campmates will be housed under a waterproof roof in a show first to protect them from the bitter UK climate.  

Concerns: Following the switch from sunny Australia to chilly North Wales, bosses were said to be very worried that they wouldn't be able to bag big names (the original set pictured in 2017)

Concerns: Following the switch from sunny Australia to chilly North Wales, bosses were said to be very worried that they wouldn’t be able to bag big names (the original set pictured in 2017) 

In pictures obtained by The Sun, a studio where hosts Ant McPartlin and Declan Donnelly has been erected, as well as an uncovered area where contestants will be allowed to light a camp fire.

A section of the location where they will sleep has been covered with strong plastic to keep the winds and rain at bay. 

Last month Kevin Lygo, the Director of Television at ITV, has revealed that all stars for this year’s I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here! have been confirmed. 

And while rumours circulate that Selling Sunset’s Christine Quinn, presenter Vernon Kay, and Coronation Street’s Beverley Callard have signed up, Lygo assures all of the as-yet-unnamed stars have been confirmed – despite the change of location.

Reports: Selling Sunset's Christine Quinn could be entering the castle

Speculation: Presenter Vernon Kay, has also been reportedly offered an eye-watering £250,000 to take part in this year's show

Reports: Rumours swirl that Selling Sunset’s Christine Quinn (left) and presenter Vernon Kay (right) could be set to enter the cast this autumn 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk