Head of Wuhan hospital dies of coronavirus, Chinese media 

BREAKING: Head of Wuhan hospital dies of coronavirus, says Chinese media

  • Liu Zhiming, the director of Wuchang Hospital, reportedly died of the virus today
  • He is the first hospital head to ‘sacrifice’ in the fight against the virus, media said
  • Last Friday, a 59-year-old nurse in the same hospital was killed by the disease
  • COVID-19 has killed at least 1,775 people and infected more than 71,440 globally

Liu Zhiming, the director of Wuchang Hospital, died of the novel coronavirus today, according to Chinese media

The head of a hospital in Wuhan today died of the novel coronavirus, according to Chinese media.

Dr Liu Zhiming, the director of Wuchang Hospital, is the first hospital leader to have ‘sacrificed’ in the fight against coronavirus, reported Red Star News.

The news comes after a 59-year-old nurse in the same hospital was killed by the virus last Friday.

Red Star News, a news outlet based in Chongqing, said it had confirmed the news from multiple sources.

One doctor at Wuchang Hospital told the newspaper that he was saddened by Dr Liu’s passing. 

Another insider said Mr Liu had always been a healthy man and that he was surprised by the news of his death. 

The hospital is yet to comment on the report.

Last week, Liu Fan, a nurse at Wuchang Hospital, died of the coronavirus after contracting the disease at work. 

Online accounts suggested that Ms Liu was infected with the disease after failing to get a hazmat suit due to the shortage of medical supplies in Wuhan.

The hospital denied the allegations, adding that Ms Liu was working in the injection room, not on the front line.

In a statement, Wuchang Hospital said Ms Liu died at 6:30pm on Friday. 

Nearly 1,800 people across the world have now died from the killer coronavirus that is rapidly sweeping the planet.

And more than 71,430 have caught the virus, formally known as COVID-19, including 454 on a cruise ship quarantined off the coast of Japan.

Ninety-five per cent of the 2,000 new cases recorded yesterday were diagnosed in Hubei, the deserted Chinese province at the centre of the crisis.  

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk

Loading...