Guy Sebastian has claimed he ‘isn’t the bad guy’ as he breaks his silence on the ongoing feud between him and his neighbour – slamming allegations against him as a ‘complete fabrication’.
Phillip Hanslow, 66, has been charged with threatening to kill the musician and kicking over his fence on their adjoining properties in Maroubra, in Sydney’s east, during an alleged altercation on January 23.
Mr Hanslow has accused Sebastian of towering over him with a brick during a fiery confrontation, with the 66-year-old appearing in court on Thursday.
During a TV interview on Friday morning, Sebastian claimed there’d been a lot said about the court matter ‘that’s not true’.
‘This is an ongoing thing, not an isolated event, there was something that transpired between me and him where I’d asked him basically to stop damaging my property,’ he said.
Guy Sebastian has claimed he ‘isn’t the bad guy’ in his first TV interview on the ongoing feud between him and his neighbour.
‘There were some things that were said on his part which caused me to have to call the police,’ he alleged.
Sebastian was adamant that it wasn’t ‘me versus him’, stressing he wasn’t the one to take out an apprehended violence order.
‘It’s the police who decided to take the initiative of taking an AVO out,’ he continued.
‘As a public person I’ll cop it, there’s going to be stuff that’s said but it’s like where do I start?
‘There was something alleged yesterday and stuff in the paper today that was completely fabricated.
‘I know it’s more of a story to flip the narrative so that I’m the bad guy in some way but it’s just completely not true.’
Pictured: Phillip Hanslow outside court on Thursday morning. He is accused of damaging Guy Sebastian’s fence
Mr Hanslow is seen being arrested outside his house in Maroubra
The court case so far has centred on Hanslow’s request for Sebastian’s footage on the alleged confrontation, which his high-profile lawyer Bryan Wrench said could be significant to the case.
”We expect the footage to show [Sebastian] towering over Mr Hanslow with a brick in his hand,’ he told Waverley Local Court on Thursday.
The security camera is on Sebastian’s side of the fence, right over the top of where the alleged altercation took place.
Sebastian was ordered by the court to produce footage of the incident by February 23, but he was granted an extension until March 9.
However, Mr Wrench told the court the footage had not been handed over by the new deadline.
Phillip Hanslow and his wife Carole have since moved out of their Maroubra home (shown on the right of Guy Sebastian’s imposing property)
Mr Wrench revealed new details of their alleged confrontation in court.
‘Mr Hanslow was fixing his fence to match the look of Guy Sebastian’s at the time,’ Mr Wrench told the court.
‘The fence is now finished and I think it’s a pretty good render.’
The magistrate joked: ‘What do they say? Good fences make good neighbours.’
Mr Wrench said he did not think the matter would be resolved, indicating it would likely go to hearing.
The magistrate gave Sebastian until March 23 to hand the footage over. Failure to the footage over could result in his arrest, with the matter returning to court in May.
Outside court, Hanslow told Daily Mail Australia exclusively that he wasn’t fussed by how the case concluded.
‘I don’t really mind what happens to me,’ he told Daily Mail Australia.
Sebastian (pictured with wife Jules) said a lot that had been said about his court matter ‘wasn’t true’
‘What are they going to do to me? Uphold the AVO and fine me over the fence?
‘I wouldn’t even be here if Guy wasn’t famous.’
The court has previously heard how, during the altercation on January 23, Hanslow allegedly said to the Battle Scars hitmaker ‘I’ll put a bullet in your head’, but he believes he actually said ‘one day someone will put a bullet in your head’.
Police raided Hanslow’s home days later, arriving at the elderly man’s house while he was on the toilet.
‘They broke into the back of the house, smashed down the door and came into the house while I was on the toilet and arrested me and then took me off to the police station and I spent six and half hours in the lockups over just a heated argument between neighbours, which I think is really overboard,’ Mr Hanslow previously said.
He was arrested, charged and hit with an apprehended violence order for Sebastian’s protection, banning him from contacting the singer or setting foot on his property.
The bitter row began in 2013 when Sebastian, 41, and wife Jules Egan, 43, bought a property in Maroubra in Sydney’s eastern suburbs for $3.1million.
But when they demolished it to build their sprawling new dream home, it triggered the epic feud between the Sebastians and Mr Hanslow.
Mr Hanslow claimed debris from the demolition damaged his home when a ‘brick missile’ smashed into an outside wall, narrowly missing his lounge window and his terminally-ill wife Carole, who was watching TV inside.
And he slammed the final design of the Sebastian’s new home as an ugly fortress for its imposing and windowless frontage, butting right up to the edge of his home.
Mr Hanslow has now been driven out of the home, which is believed to be owned by his wife Carol, and instead lives in a rundown dilapidated property in Carlton with his sick wife and their pet bird, Boo Boo.
But the former builder, who was forced to retire with fibromyalgia, still returns to his Maroubra home to work on renovations.