Borussia Dortmund CEO admits ‘it will be difficult’ to keep Erling Haaland next summer but doesn’t rule out star striker staying despite interest from host of European giants
- Erling Haaland, aged 21, is now one of the most sought after players in Europe
- Since his arrival, the Norwegian forward has scored 68 goals in 67 appearances
- Real Madrid and Manchester United have shown interest in signing the striker
- Jude Bellingham has also been linked with a move away from Dortmund
Borussia Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke has acknowledged that the German outfit will face a struggle to keep Erling Haaland at the end of this season.
Since the Norwegian superstar’s move from RB Salzburg in January 2020, he has become one of the most prolific forwards in European football, scoring 68 goals in 67 appearances.
In Dortmund’s latest match on Sunday, Haaland scored twice to help defeat Union Berlin to keep the team just one point behind the Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich.
Borussia Dortmund know they have a struggle to keep Erling Haaland beyond this season
The Norwegian forward scored a sensational lob to seal a win for Dortmund on Sunday
Haaland was even linked with a move away from Dortmund during the summer as Chelsea were keen on bringing him to Stamford Bridge before turning their attention towards Romelu Lukaku.
However, according to widespread reports, Dortmund have an arrangement with the forward that there he will have a release clause between €75 million and €100m which only can be activated in the summer of 2022.
Dortmund are therefore realistic that several clubs across Europe such as Real Madrid and Manchester United will be prepared to pay fee that would see him leave next year.
The Dortmund CEO recently told the German Publication Welt am Sonntag: ‘Of course it will be difficult.
‘I am not saying, however, that it is completely out of the question. We’ll do everything we can to keep our top players loyal to us in the future.’
Hans-Joachim Watzke is looking to keep hold of his best players despite widespread interest
Haaland and Jude Bellingham are being linked with a move away from Dortmund next year
After the club’s 2-1 victory over Besiktas in the Champions League last week, the Dortmund boss Marco Rose was also asked if it would be possible to keep Haaland and England youngster Jude Bellingham.
He said: ‘The two boys are currently players with us. We are happy to have them and anything else is just rumours. In the summer, we will see how it goes for both players.
‘But I will do everything to ensure they stay. Tie them down (to new contracts)? No idea (what the future holds), let’s see.’
In the case where Dortmund is forced to sell Haaland next summer, Watzke has assured the Dortmund faithful that they will find a replacement and added: ‘We have to have the self-confidence to say we’ll find a new top striker again.’