Atletico Madrid FURIOUS after being kept in the dark over Kieran Trippier’s worldwide TEN-WEEK BAN for breaking FA betting rules around his transfer from Tottenham to Spain
- Kieran Trippier was charged in May over bets placed around his move to Spain
- He completed a £20million move to Atletico Madrid from Tottenham in 2019
- Trippier missed England’s game against Denmark in October to attend a hearing
- FA rules state that players cannot place a bet relating to football or provide relevant confidential information to anyone who could bet on a scenario
- The 30-year-old has been banned for 10 weeks and fined a total of £70,000
Kieran Trippier has been slapped with a 10-week worldwide football ban for breaching Football Association betting regulations.
The news, while a significant blow to the Atletico Madrid full-back in the short-term, will arrive as a relief to Trippier and England manager Gareth Southgate, who is now cleared to select the defender for March’s World Cup qualifiers and the summer’s European Championship.
Atletico reacted to the news with fury, insisting the development had not been communicated to them and that they would continue to consider Trippier, the only outfield player at the club to have played every minute in LaLiga so far this season, for their forthcoming fixtures.
Kieran Tripper has been banned by the FA for 10 weeks after breaching betting regulations
England international Trippier (R) currently plays for LaLiga leaders Atletico Madrid in Spain
However, Sportsmail understands that officials from the FA have attempted to contact their Spanish counterparts as early as Tuesday to inform them of the impending ruling.
Trippier, it is understood, is minded to accept the ban, but fell short of publicly stating his intentions.
And while the prospect of Trippier, who cannot even train with his team-mates, appealing the 10 week ban and £70,000 fine appear small, the emerging possibility of Atletico doubling-down on their threat not to recognise the suspension could leave him in an awkward situation which could lead to a change of heart.
But the expectation is that Atletico will eventually accept their player’s ban. The Spanish club do not play again until Wednesday meaning one week of the ban will elapse without him missing a game.
Trippier, as it stands, will miss 12 matches for Atletico – including their Champions League last 16 first-leg clash against Chelsea on February 23.
The charge relates to bets placed when the right back moved from Tottenham to Atletico
The FA are also unlikely to appeal the punishment, which was reached by an independent regulatory commission.
English football’s governing body successfully appealed former Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge’s original six week suspension and £75,000 fine for a breach of betting regulations in 2019.
Sturridge was eventually handed a four-month ban after an appeal board deemed the original punishment ‘unduly lenient’.
However, there is not thought to be an ambition to appeal Trippier’s ban, despite similarities in the case.
Sturridge’s charge stemmed from passing on information with regards to a possible transfer.
It is believed to be a similar case with Trippier, who is feared to have been the victim of friends, unbeknown to him, putting on bets on the basis of information that had been relayed in private.
In responding to the original charge in May, Trippier said: ‘While a professional footballer, I have at no stage placed football related bets or received financial benefit from others betting.’
The charge related to bets placed around the time of his move to Spain from Tottenham in July 2019.
Trippier has been capped 25 times by England and scored in the 2018 World Cup semi-final
An FA statement confirmed: ‘The Atletico Madrid defender denied seven alleged breaches of FA Rule E8(1)(b), which were said to occur during July 2019, and requested a personal hearing.
‘An independent regulatory commission was appointed to hear the case, with four of the alleged breaches found proven and three dismissed during a subsequent personal hearing.
‘The independent regulatory commission’s written reasons for its decisions and the associated sanction will be published in due course.
‘The suspension, which includes all football and football-related activity, is effective worldwide from today (Wednesday 23 December 2020) following an application to FIFA.’
The fact Trippier will be available for the start of England’s World Cup 2022 qualifying campaign and the delayed Euro 2020 will come as a major boost to Southgate, who views the 30-year-old as an important member of his squad.