Disgraced Matt Araiza speaks out on ‘very dark eight months’ after it emerges he was NOT present at alleged gang rape that led to him being cut by Buffalo Bills: ‘I can only hope people will assess me on facts’
- Matt Araiza has broken silence after new details of alleged gang rape emerged
- It is claimed Araiza left the part an hour before the alleged gang rape occurred
- DailyMail.com provides all the latest international sports news
Matt Araiza, the former Buffalo Bills punter who was cut by the NFL team when he was linked to an alleged gang rape of a minor, has spoken out after it emerged he was not present at the time the incident is alleged to have happened.
Yahoo Sports reported on Monday of a 200-page unsealed document including a transcript of a conversation where a deputy district attorney told the girl, who at the time of the alleged incident was 17, why charges against Araiza were not pursued.
The DA’s office had apparently concluded that Araiza had left the party in San Diego at 12:30am on the night of October 15, 2021 – around an hour before the gang rape is alleged to have happened that Araiza was accused of participating in. Araiza apparently had a witness that helped prosecutors conclude that he had left around an hour earlier.
Now, a statement reported by Pro Football Talk from Araiza said: ‘I am deeply gratified for the thorough work of the DA’s office in San Diego and for all the witnesses that were willing to come forward and tell the truth.
‘I am thankful that the facts of this case as provided by the witnesses will prove that what I have been saying from the beginning is, in fact, the truth.
Matt Araiza has spoken out after new details emerged of his links to an alleged gang rape
It was concluded Araiza had left the party an hour before the gang rape allegedly happened
‘I can only hope that now people will assess me on the facts and not what was falsely claimed in both the civil suit and in the press.
‘I am beyond thankful for the unwavering support of both my family and friends. They have been a rock in what has been a very dark eight months for me. However, now that the truth is out, I am amazed by the thousands of emails and tweets supporting me.
‘It has truly been a blessing to know so many people have now judged me by the facts.’
Last December, it emerged Araiza would not face criminal charges by San Diego prosecutors.
‘Prosecutors determined it is clear the evidence does not support the filing of criminal charges. There is no path to a potential criminal conviction,’ the San Diego County District Attorney’s Office said at the time.
There is, however, an ongoing civil lawsuit that remains active.
In February this year, Araiza’s agent denied that he was signing with a Mexican team in a bid to revive his career and said the 22-year-old hopes for another chance in the NFL.
He was released by the Bills in late August, amid the allegations and mounting public pressure, despite winning the starting job in training camp.
Araiza was released by the Bills last year after his links to the incident sparked outrage
The Ray Guy Award Winner – given to the best punter in college football – was a sixth-round pick in the 2022 NFL Draft and beat out veteran Matt Haack to be the Bills punter.
When the lawsuit became public on August 26, Buffalo initially defended Araiza, before eventually cutting the 22-year-old two days later.
General manager Brandon Beane said the organization was aware of Araiza’s version of events prior to bringing him to Orchard Park.
But when they released him, Beane said: ‘At this time, we think it’s the best move for everyone to move on from Matt and let him take care of this situation and focus on that.’