According to a court filing Thursday, Chauvin aims to appeal based on 14 issues with his case, claiming the court in which he was tried repeatedly “abused its discretion” for numerous reasons, including by denying Chauvin a change of venue, denying his motion to have the jury sequestered through trial, and denying his request for a new trial.
In an affidavit also filed Thursday, Chauvin said he currently did not have a lawyer after the Minneapolis Police and Peace Officers Association, which paid for his trial attorney, told Chauvin their “obligation” to pay for his legal representation “terminated upon my conviction and sentencing.”
Chauvin is currently without any income “besides nominal prison wages,” he wrote, and so he cannot afford private counsel for his appeal. However, when he applied for a Minnesota appellate public defender, he was denied representation, Chauvin wrote.
Chauvin has since submitted documents to the Minnesota Supreme Court and asked that his deadline for an appellate brief filing be stayed until the court reviews his application. Typically, Chauvin would have 90 days from the imposition of his sentence to file an appeal.
Reached for comment, John Stiles, the deputy chief of staff for Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison — who led the prosecution of Chauvin — told CNN the office is currently reviewing Chauvin’s filing.
Floyd’s death and the video catalyzed nationwide protests over racial injustice and police brutality. That public attention — along with the city’s announcement during jury selection that it was paying $27 million in a settlement to Floyd’s family — were among the reasons Chauvin’s trial attorney Eric Nelson had previously requested a change in venue.