David Beckham backs fight to tackle football dementia crisis


David Beckham backs fight to tackle football dementia crisis: Former England captain says it is ‘clear there are questions to be asked’ about effects of heading ball

  • The former England captain said questions need to be asked about effect of ball 
  • He spoke of the toll on World Cup heroes Nobby Stiles and Sir Bobby Charlton 
  • Sportsmail launched its demands, spearheaded by former striker Chris Sutton 

David Beckham has become the latest star to back the Daily Mail’s campaign for football to confront the scandal of dementia among former players.

The former England captain said: ‘It’s clear there are questions to be asked about the effect that heading the ball might have.’

He spoke of the toll on World Cup heroes Nobby Stiles and Sir Bobby Charlton, ‘two of my absolute heroes growing up’.

David Beckham (pictured) has become the latest star to back the Daily Mail’s campaign for football to confront the scandal of dementia among former players

He said: ‘To hear from their families about the true devastation and impact of dementia has been heart-breaking,’ he said.

Beckham, 45, who won 115 caps for his country, declared: ‘I want to lend my support to the families’ and the Sportsmail campaign and to all those who are calling for action. This issue must be taken seriously at the highest level.’

Sportsmail launched its demands, spearheaded by former Celtic, Norwich and Blackburn striker Chris Sutton, on Tuesday. 

We issued a seven-point plan calling on the authorities to take meaningful action.

The proposals have already been backed by the family of Stiles, died last month, and by former England striker Gary Lineker.

Calls for the risk of dementia to be taken seriously also came from Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp and ex-England stars Wayne Rooney and Frank Lampard.

Sportsmail launched its demands, spearheaded by former Celtic, Norwich and Blackburn striker Chris Sutton, on Tuesday (pictured)

Sportsmail launched its demands, spearheaded by former Celtic, Norwich and Blackburn striker Chris Sutton, on Tuesday (pictured)

Klopp said: ‘World football must be involved in this discussion. There have been a generation of players affected.’

Rooney added: ‘Too many footballers have died from this disease in recent years. Clearly something needs to change to make sure this doesn’t happen to the next generation of players.’

Rooney said he supports following the US, where heading is banned in junior football. Lampard added: ‘We have the research, the proper medical insight. We have to act now.’

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk