Conor Benn set for September return with official announcement to come this month


EXCLUSIVE: Conor Benn will make his return to the ring in September, with an announcement on his opponent set to come at the end of the month… as Eddie Hearn says ‘The Destroyer’ is two fights away from a world title shot

  • Conor Benn destroyed Chris van Heerden in his only bout of 2022 to date 
  • July 9 had been mooted as a potential date for Benn to make his return  
  • Instead, that spot has gone to Derek Chisora, who takes on Kubrat Pulev again 
  • Benn will fight in September, though no opponent or exact date is yet known 

Conor Benn will make his return to the ring in September as ‘The Destroyer’ looks to continue his march towards a world title shot. 

The ever-improving 25-year-old extended his record to 21-0 with an emphatic stoppage victory over Chris van Heerden back in April, in what is to date his only bout of 2022. 

The South African fighter had been anticipated to cause Benn a handful of problems, being the first southpaw of note he had faced, but the Brit closed the show within two spiteful rounds. 

Conor Benn will make his return to the ring in September with an announcement to come this month

Promoter Eddie Hearn had previously looked at July 9 as a possible date for Benn’s return, but that slot has instead gone to Derek Chisora, who is set to square off against Bulgarian Kubrat Pulev for a second time. 

Instead, Hearn on Friday confirmed Benn will get out again in September, with an official announcement set to come later this month. 

As for who he will take on in September, the likes of Keith Thurman and Mikey Garcia are among the possible names mooted, but no opponent or location has been confirmed.  

For Hearn, though ready for a significant challenge, Benn is still in the building stage, with the Matchroom boss believing his fighter is just two bouts away from a world title shot. 

Benn claimed a highly impressive stoppage win over Chris van Heerden back in April

Benn claimed a highly impressive stoppage win over Chris van Heerden back in April

Promoter Eddie Hearn believes 'The Destroyer' is now two fights away from a world title shot

Promoter Eddie Hearn believes ‘The Destroyer’ is now two fights away from a world title shot

Benn’s September bout will follow two massive match-ups for Matchroom, with Hearn revealing the rematch between Anthony Joshua and Oleksandr Usyk – set to take place on August 20 – will be officially announced next week. 

‘It’s done,’ he said. ‘We can get an official announcement, definitely next week, most likely early next week. It’s all agreed, all signed.’

Hearn did so while at the announcement press conference for the impending bout between Chisora and Pulev, with their O2 Arena clash branded ‘Total Carnage’. 

For Benn, he will will fight anyone put to him. ‘Everyone thought southpaw was going to be a problem, but I’ll beat anyone they put in front of me and I stand by that,’ he said after defeating Van Heerden. 

‘I’m top five in all the governing bodies,’ he continued. ‘I’ll leave the matchmaking to Eddie and I’ll just get in there keep ironing them out, that’s my job.’

Hearn also on Friday confirmed Anthony Joshua's rematch against Oleksandr Usyk will be announced next week

Hearn also on Friday confirmed Anthony Joshua’s rematch against Oleksandr Usyk will be announced next week

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk