Bryson DeChambeau and Patrick Reed ‘join Saudi-backed LIV Series’ in latest shock to golf as two of the sport’s heavyweights agree ‘multi-million dollar deals’… with fellow American Rickie Fowler also lined up to ‘join imminently’
- Bryson DeChambeau and Patrick Reed are expected to join the LIV Series
- The Saudi-backed tour is due to tee off this week on Thursday in St Albans
- DeChambeau and Reed are former US Open and Masters winners respectively
- It is expected that fellow American Rickie Fowler will follow in their footsteps
- READ: Mickelson REFUSES to confirm if he has been banned from PGA Tour
Bryson DeChambeau and Patrick Reed are expected to be the next big-hitters in the golfing world to defect to the Saudi-backed LIV Series.
The breakaway tour has sent shockwaves through the game after snapping up some of the sport’s top talent for eye-watering signing on fees ahead of its inaugural event at St Albans on Thursday.
The likes of Dustin Johnson have already been confirmed as part of its roster, with the two-time major winner resigning from the PGA Tour in the process. Other top names such as Phil Mickelson and Graeme McDowell have also defected.
Bryson DeChambeau and Patrick Reed are expected to be the next to join the LIV Series
And according to The Telegraph, the list of eye-catching names is set to grow, with DeChambeau and Reed expected to be announced imminently after agreeing ‘multi-million dollar deals’.
DeChambeau is a former US Open winner, having triumphed at Winged Foot in 2020, and with his monstrously long driving is one of the biggest draws in the game. Reed is a former Masters winner, claiming the green jacket in 2018.
DeChambeau’s decision is particularly peculiar, having only last week publicly suggested his inclination to avoid quitting the PGA Tour for the forseeable future.
Former US Open winner DeChambeau had said it was his intention to avoid LIV only last week
ENTRANTS FOR FIRST LIV GOLF INVITATIONAL SERIES EVENT
Dustin Johnson (USA)
Phil Mickleson (USA)
Kevin Na (USA)
Talor Gooch (USA)
Sihwan Kim (USA)
Chase Koepka (USA)
Andy Ogletree (USA)
Turk Pettit (USA)
James Piot (USA)
Hudson Swafford (USA)
Peter Uihlein (USA)
Sergio Garcia (ESP)
Pablo Larrazabal (ESP)
Adrian Otaegui (ESP)
David Puig (ESP)
Martin Kaymer (GER)
Graeme McDowell (NIR)
Ian Poulter (ENG)
Lee Westwood (ENG)
Richard Bland (ENG)
Laurie Canter (ENG)
Oliver Fisher (ENG)
Sam Horsfield (ENG)
Louis Oosthuizen (RSA)
Oliver Bekker (RSA)
Hennie Du Plessis (RSA)
Branden Grace (RSA)
Justin Harding (RSA)
Shaun Norris (RSA)
JC Ritchie (RSA)
Charl Scwartzel (RSA)
Ian Snyman (RSA)
Matt Jones (AUS)
Jediah Morgan (AUS)
Wade Ormsby (AUS)
Travis Smyth (AUS)
Blake Windred (AUS)
Kevin Yuan (AUS)
Hideto Tanihara (JPN)
Ryosuke Kinoshita (JPN)
Jinichiro Kozuma (JPN)
Itthipat Buranatanyarat (THA)
Ratchanon Chantananuwat (THA)
Sadom Kaewkanjana (THA)
Phachara Khongwatmai (THA)
Viraj Madappa (IND)
Scott Vincent (ZIM)
Bernd Wiesberger (AUT)
The 28-year-old said: ‘For me, I personally don’t think that at this point in time I’m in a place in my career where I can risk things like that.
‘I’m loyal to my family that I’ve created around me with sponsors and everything. And as of right now, the golf world is probably going to change in some capacity.
‘I don’t know what that is. Not my job to do so. I’m just going to keep playing professional golf and enjoy it wherever it takes me, play with the best players in the world.
‘That’s really all I’ve got, that’s what I’ll do for the rest of my life, because I want to be one of the best players in the world.’
The Telegraph also report that fellow American Rickie Fowler is on the cusp of joining the LIV Series, too. The 33-year-old has finished in the top three at least once at every single major event.
Rickie Fowler is reported to be close to confirming his move to the new circuit, too
Meanwhile, Mickelson has refused to say whether or not he has been banned from the PGA Tour after his defection to LIV Golf, insisting he has earned his lifetime membership and should not be forced to give it up.
Mickelson, the latest confirmed defector from the PGA, spoke to the press on Wednesday ahead of tee off at the Centurion Club on Thursday.
The 51-year-old, who is reportedly to be paid £160m for taking part in the tour, told reporters: ‘I’ve been a part of the tour for over 30 years and I’ve had a lot of incredible memories and experiences, tournaments that I’ve won and lost.
‘I’ve gained a lot, received a lot and I’m grateful for everything the tour has done for me. I’ve also worked hard to contribute and build and add value to the tour in my time there.’
Phil Mickelson has refused to say whether or not he has been banned from the PGA Tour