Bridgerton series two: Filming ‘shut down by COVID-19 for THIRD TIME’


Bridgerton series two filming has reportedly shut down for the third time due to a new COVID-19 outbreak.

Production began on the Netflix drama in the spring, but filming shut down twice  in July due to COVID-19 – the last instance of which was reported on August 31 – and has now shut down indefinitely, according to The Sun.  

 A source said: ‘Filming has been in chaos due to Covid and bosses are hopping mad.

Shut down: Bridgerton series two filming has reportedly shut down for the third time due to a new COVID-19 outbreak (star Phoebe Dynevor filming in May)

‘Dramas like The Crown have got their production moving without a hitch. It’s embarrassing they don’t seem to be able to do the same.

‘This outbreak has taken down members of cast and crew, who were told filming would be halted until further notice.’

Mailonline has contacted a Netflix spokesman for comment.   

Last week it was claimed Bridgerton series two production ground to a halt once again after bosses muddled up positive and negative COVID-19 tests, according to The Sun.

Pandemic: Production began on the Netflix drama in the spring, but filming shut down twice in July due to COVID-19

Pandemic: Production began on the Netflix drama in the spring, but filming shut down twice in July due to COVID-19 

A source said: 'Filming has been in chaos due to Covid and bosses are hopping mad' (Phoebe filming in May)

A source said: ‘Filming has been in chaos due to Covid and bosses are hopping mad’ (Phoebe filming in May)

They added: 'Dramas like The Crown have got their production moving without a hitch. It's embarrassing they don't seem to be able to do the same' (Bridgerton season 2 filming in May)

They added: ‘Dramas like The Crown have got their production moving without a hitch. It’s embarrassing they don’t seem to be able to do the same’ (Bridgerton season 2 filming in May)

Last month production resumed on the second season after two positive coronavirus tests shut it down – but the set experienced a further minor delay due to the testing gaffe, meaning it was not known which test belonged to whom.

It was alleged due to a positive test among the tests, bosses on the set in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire had to retest the entire cast and crew and wait for the results.

A source said: ‘Nothing can account for mistakes, sadly, and producers cannot take any chances, given it could quickly tear through cast and crew and shut production down for a while. The tests were cross-contaminated, meaning they all had to be done again.

The source continued: 'This outbreak has taken down members of cast and crew, who were told filming would be halted until further notice' (Bridgerton season 2 filming in May)

The source continued: ‘This outbreak has taken down members of cast and crew, who were told filming would be halted until further notice’ (Bridgerton season 2 filming in May)

Error: Last week it was claimed Bridgerton series two production ground to a halt once again after bosses muddled up positive and negative COVID-19 tests (Bridgerton filming in May)

Error: Last week it was claimed Bridgerton series two production ground to a halt once again after bosses muddled up positive and negative COVID-19 tests (Bridgerton filming in May)

Positive tests: Last month production resumed on the second season after two positive coronavirus tests shut it down (Bridgerton season 2 filming in May)

Positive tests: Last month production resumed on the second season after two positive coronavirus tests shut it down (Bridgerton season 2 filming in May)

‘Ironically, when they came back a second time the positives were negatives so maybe they could have ploughed on regardless. 

‘They had to revise and shift the shooting schedule slightly but it hasn’t caused any delays to shooting thankfully. It could’ve been a lot worse.’ 

MailOnline contacted a Netflix spokesman for comment at the time.

Retests: It was alleged due to a positive test among the tests, bosses on the set in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire had to retest the entire cast and crew

Retests: It was alleged due to a positive test among the tests, bosses on the set in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire had to retest the entire cast and crew

A source said: 'Nothing can account for mistakes and producers cannot take any chances, given it could quickly tear through cast and crew and shut production down for a while'

A source said: ‘Nothing can account for mistakes and producers cannot take any chances, given it could quickly tear through cast and crew and shut production down for a while’

Earlier this month Bridgerton creator Chris Van Dusen confirmed that production has resumed on the highly-anticipated second season after two positive coronavirus tests shut it down.  

‘We are back under way. We had to delay because of Covid, but we’re back in it,’ the 61-year-old showrunner told Variety.

‘Right now I’m in post, editing our first couple episodes, which are looking great.’  

Season two is based on Julia Quinn’s 2000 sequel The Viscount Who Loved Me, which is centered on Anthony Bridgerton’s (Jonathan Bailey) quest to find a suitable partner.

‘We pick up Anthony after we’ve seen what he’s been through with his mistress,’ Van Dusen teased.

Romance: The first season focused on the romance between Daphne Bridgerton, played by Phoebe, and Simon, Duke of Hastings, the role which Rege-Jean Page bade farewell to in April

Romance: The first season focused on the romance between Daphne Bridgerton, played by Phoebe, and Simon, Duke of Hastings, the role which Rege-Jean Page bade farewell to in April 

‘He’s thinking, ”Was that love?” Some would call it that, others would not. We’re exploring those concepts of duty and honor once again…I hope people love this season and beyond as much as they did the first.’

Newcomers to the critically-acclaimed Shondaland show will include Simone Ashley, Charithra Chandran, Rupert Evans, Rupert Young, Shelley Conn, and Calam Lynch.  

An eye-popping 82M households streamed the Gossip Girl-style period drama about Regency London high society within the first 28 days of its Christmas Day premiere.

Season one scored an impressive 12 nominations – including outstanding drama series – for the 73rd Primetime Emmy Awards, which air September 19 on CBS.

Regé-Jean Page scored a lead actor nod for portraying Duke of Hastings Simon Bassett, but saddened fans after announcing he was exiting Bridgerton on April 2.

Fans of the Netflix hit can also look forward seasons three and four as well as a limited series prequel in the works about Queen Charlotte’s (Golda Rosheuvel) origin story.   

Back in January, show star Phoebe Dyvenor expressed her concerns about filming series two amid the pandemic.

‘I can’t imagine how it would be possible to film under these circumstances,’ she told Deadline.

 ‘There are so many extras and so many crew members, and it’s a very intimate show. It just baffles me how we would film it under COVID rules unless there was a vaccine beforehand.’

The first season focused on the romance between Daphne Bridgerton, played by Phoebe, and Simon, Duke of Hastings, the role which Rege-Jean Page bade farewell to in April– to the dismay of his many fans. 

'The ride of a lifetime': Regé-Jean Page scored a lead actor nod for portraying Duke of Hastings Simon Bassett, but saddened fans after announcing he was exiting Bridgerton on April 2

‘The ride of a lifetime’: Regé-Jean Page scored a lead actor nod for portraying Duke of Hastings Simon Bassett, but saddened fans after announcing he was exiting Bridgerton on April 2

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk