Bill Cosby is planning on returning to the stage in London following his release from prison, his publicist has said.
The entertainer, 83, also intends to tour the US and Canada as part of a comeback tour after his sexual assault conviction was overturned on a technicality.
His publicist Andrew Wyatt told the Los Angeles Times the star wants to return to work and perform shows featuring his ‘vintage storytelling’.
Bill Cosby is planning on returning to the stage in London following his release from prison, his publicist Andrew Wyatt (right) has said
Cosby, once known as ‘America’s Dad’, arrived home last month after the Pennsylvania Supreme Court ruled he had been denied a fair trial in 2018.
Wyatt said: ‘In his physical appearance, he’s exuberant. In his mental state, he’s exuberant. In his feelings and humour, he’s exuberant.’
Cosby’s shows will feature observations from his life and will be ‘inclusive of human rights and civil rights’ as part of his work on criminal justice and prison reform, he added.
Wyatt added the comedian is ‘colourful and powerful — more powerful than we’ve ever seen’.
Cosby’s team including his legal staff is still working out audiences, promoters and ‘media insurrections… who fuel the hate’ will be screened for the lives shows, according to Wyatt.
But he said he is not concerned about hecklers, adding: ‘It’s not happening tomorrow.’
A book written by Frederick Williams is also in the works and will feature Cosby and Wyatt discussing the entertainer’s trial and prison experiences.
Cosby, with Wyatt last Thursday, vowed to fight a civil lawsuit filed by a woman who says he assaulted her in 2015 at the Playboy Mansion
Additionally, a five-part documentary series is nearly complete from Michelle Major, the director of Venus and Serena.
The TV series will include interviews with the comic, which he has not yet sat for, and will focus on his legal issues.
The release of Cosby, once one of America’s most beloved figures but who faced dozens of assault accusations, provoked a strong reaction.
The comedian had his conviction for sexually assaulting Andrea Constand in 2004 overturned because a prosecutor promised him that he wouldn’t be charged in 2005, which the court said led him to incriminate himself.
Cosby with Hugh Hefner in L.A. in the 1970s, when he was becoming a household name. Most of the allegations against him begin in the 1980s but Judi Huth says he attacked her in 1974
Dozens more women have accused him of sexual assault and harassment but their claims were not criminally prosecuted because they fell outside of the statutes of limitations in the states where the offenses allegedly took place.
After he was freed last week, women’s rights attorney Gloria Allred held a press conference with some of Cosby’s accusers (she represents 33 of them) and said she would fight to hold him accountable by suing him in civil court.
Judi Huth maintains that Cosby assaulted her in 1974 and she is seeking a settlement. Her claims fall outside a statute of limitations so can’t be criminally prosecuted
Among the people she is representing is Judi Huth. Huth, in 2015, sued Cosby, alleging he attacked her at Hugh Hefner’s Playboy Mansion in California.
Cosby has always insisted he is innocent on all counts of sexual misconduct.
In a statement on Wednesday morning, Wyatt said: ‘With the reversal of Mr. Cosby’s conviction, his legal team, led by Jennifer Bonjean of the Bonjean Law Group, now turns its attention to the civil lawsuit brought by Gloria Allred on behalf of her client Judy Huth.
‘Since Mr. Cosby’s release from prison and the dismissal of all charges against him, Ms. Allred has been hard at work giving press statements about the alleged merits of her client’s 45-year-old allegations.
‘Ms. Bonjean looks forward to fighting the case in the courthouse where it matters – rather than at press conferences on the courthouse stairs where it doesn’t.’
Women’s rights attorney Gloria Allred is representing 33 women who say Cosby accused them. She has vowed to pursue civil action against him after his prison release. His team say they’ll take her on
The next court date is August 13, when Cosby’s team says they’ll ‘get to the business of vindicating Mr. Cosby once and for all.’
Cosby’s team say he will go on the road to ‘tell his story’ after being freed from prison and that he is already in partnership with ‘documentary makers’.
None of the major streaming services have put their names to any project with him yet publicly.
He was on the road with his stand-up show in 2015, the year he was arrested for assaulting Constand.