Antonio Conte reveals Tottenham are monitoring ‘a couple’ of possible Covid cases and admits some stars may miss their Carabao Cup semi-final first leg at Chelsea… just weeks after the club was rocked by an outbreak
- Antonio Conte has revealed that Spurs are monitoring possible Covid cases
- The north Londoners were previously rocked by a virus outbreak in December
- Conte, 52, says that they have a ‘couple’ of situations ahead of Chelsea game
Antonio Conte has revealed that Tottenham are monitoring ‘a couple’ of possible Covid cases as the Italian said that he may be without some stars for his side’s Carabao Cup clash with Chelsea.
Conte returns to Stamford Bridge for the first time since his 2018 departure, having won the Premier League and FA Cup during two seasons with the west London club.
Now the former Inter boss is looking to win silverware for the north Londoners and can move a step closer with victory over his former club in the first of a two legged semi final, but his attention is on possible Covid cases within his squad.
Antonio Conte has revealed Spurs are currently monitoring ‘a couple’ of possible Covid cases
The north Londoners were affected by a Covid outbreak in December, leading to some of their games being postponed
Spurs already had an outbreak that affected nine first-team players in December, but boss Conte says there are a couple of issues in the camp.
‘We are checking a couple of situations, we’ll see,’ he said.
‘We are checking a couple of situations about Covid. Yeah, players. We didn’t do this (name them) in the past and we will continue to do this in the same way.
‘We are not 100 per cent sure they will miss the game.’
The Italian manager later clarified that the players in question are awaiting the results of PCR tests.
Conte said that some players are awaiting their results to see if they can play on Wednesday
Conte also reflected on his time with the Stamford Bridge club, admitting that he is looking forward to seeing familiar faces when he returns on Wednesday night.
‘For me for sure it will be great to come back to Stamford Bridge as [it is the] first time after I left Chelsea as manager to come back Stamford Bridge,’ he said.
‘What I can say is that I spent two amazing seasons, created lot of friendship in the club.’
Conte may also come face-to-face with former striker Romelu Lukaku for the first time since the end of last season on Wednesday.
The pair worked together at Inter and enjoyed roaring success last campaign, dethroning Juventus to become Serie A champions.
Conte (L) returns to Stamford Bridge for the first time since departing the club back in 2018
The Italian also refused to be drawn in on questions about Romelu Lukaku’s Chelsea woes
Now, Lukaku is at Chelsea but dropped a bombshell last week after expressing his frustrations with his slow start to his spell in west London, irking large swathes of the Blues fanbase.
Conte opted against commenting on the Belgian’s turmoil, but said he hopes that Thomas Tuchel selects him for the final four clash.
‘I think that it’s always a good thing to play against a team that all the players are available,’ he added. ‘I think for the people who watch the game I think to see the best players on the pitch.
‘Honestly I’d like not to speak about Romelu because Romelu’s now a player of another team. I think it would be disrespectful to speak about him and Chelsea.’