Alec Baldwin has had all charges against him dropped after he accidentally shot and killed a cinematographer on the set of his western movie Rust.
The actor, 65, discovered Thursday that two involuntary manslaughter charges against him over the October 2021 killing of Halyna Hutchins have been dropped.
His lawyers, Luke Nikas and Alex Spiro, told DailyMail.com: ‘We are pleased with the decision to dismiss the case against Alec Baldwin and we encourage a proper investigation into the facts and circumstances of this tragic accident.’
Baldwin arrived in Montana last night to resume filming the movie, which was being shot in New Mexico at the time of Hutchins’ death.
The Santa Fe District Attorney’s office did not immediately return requests for comment by DailyMail.com.
It was announced earlier this year that Baldwin would remain in the lead role for Rust and that another cinematographer would replace Hutchins
Alec Baldwin arrived in Montana one day before filming resumes on his troubled western movie Rust, exclusive DailyMail.com photos show
Recently appointed special prosecutors Kari Morrissey and Jason Lewis are expected to be filing paperwork to dismiss the charges soon.
It means that the details of the incident are set to be investigated further, and the case could be resurrected in the future.
Baldwin’s co-defendant and Rust armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed is still facing the charges against her.
This will keep the probe into the accident open and allow prosecutors to retain subpoena power going forward.
It comes just days after the filing of the witness list for the preliminary hearing on May 3 became public.
That includes former Rust script supervisor Mamie Mitchell — who is suing Baldwin and his fellow producers in one of the many suit against them.
However it is thought that the hearing will not go ahead, with prosecutors looking into the circumstances of the incident again.
It follows the Santa Fe District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies stepping down from the case late last month.
Camera crews were there to capture the tender moment Alec kissed his wife and child goodbye on Wednesday
Despite the controversy, on Tuesday a spokesperson for Rust Movie Productions told CNN filming will continue at the Yellowstone Film Ranch in Montana
Baldwin is seen standing next to Hutchins – a mom-of-one – on the set of Rust in October 2021
Production stopped abruptly in October 2021 when Baldwin shot a live round from a prop gun killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the movie’s New Mexico set.
Rookie armoire Gutierrez- Reed has had no further part in the filming of the movie – which Baldwin has pushed forward in creating.
In February, the Santa Fe District Attorney’s Office dropped a key gun enhancement charge a crime that would have carried a five-year sentence if convicted.
Director Joel Souza, who was injured by the same bullet that killed Hutchins, will also return to finish the project.
Last week a judge sealed from public view the terms of a civil settlement between Baldwin and Hutchins’s widower, Mathew, and their son.
Mathew Hutchins and Baldwin came to another agreement in October. Part of that stipulated that Hutchins will serve as executive producer on the film.
After settling the lawsuit last year, Mathew claimed he desired no further ‘recriminations’.
But in January, Hutchins’s family said they supported Baldwin being charged with involuntary manslaughter.
Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was killed on the set of Rust in October 2021
David Halls, assistant director of the movie Rust, will testify against actor Alec Baldwin over an accidental shooting on the film’s set that killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins
Last Thursday, Baldwin filed a motion that another lawsuit filed by Hutchins’s parents and sister be be thrown out, claiming they had been distanced from her ‘physically, financially and emotionally for years before her death.’
Baldwin said in court documents, ‘The loss of a daughter and sister is undoubtedly painful in any circumstance.
‘Yet Plaintiffs who had been distanced from Halyna physically, financially, and emotionally for years before her death have no viable cause of action against Defendants,’ the documents state.
Hutchins had been set to testify in court, and was added to the New Mexico District Attorney’s witness list to testify at the preliminary hearing on February 24.
Production stopped abruptly in October 2021 when a prop gun held by Baldwin fired a live round that killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the movie’s New Mexico set. An image of Hutchins is shown at a vigil
Baldwin received approval from Judge Mary Marlow Sommer to be absent from the preliminary examination
‘Rust’ armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed was charged alongside Baldwin in the woman’s death
Baldwin received approval from Judge Mary Marlow Sommer to be absent from the preliminary examination.
Judge Sommer was set to determine if there was enough evidence to go to a full trial, and the new decision has plunged the case into chaos.
Prosecutors initially alleged Baldwin pulled the trigger of the gun that killed Hutchins while Gutierrez-Reed failed to ensure it was unloaded.
The widower, who shared a nine-year-old son with Halyna, sued the Rust production team last year and was appointed executive director as a part of the settlement.
The extensive witness list includes director Joel Souza, who was wounded by the bullet that passed through Halyna, and assistant director David Halls.
Halls is accused of telling Baldwin the gun was ‘cold’ – safe – an accusation he has denied.
He agreed a plea deal with prosecutors in January which included a six-month suspended sentence and a fine.
Prop worker Seth Kenney, camera assistant Lane Luper, line producer Gabrielle Pickle and script supervisor Maime Mitchell will also likely testify.
Matthew Hutchins (left) was added to the New Mexico District Attorney’s witness list to testify at the preliminary hearing on February 24 against Alec Baldwin. Matthew is pictured above with Halyna and their now nine-year-old son
Halls signed a plea agreement for the negligent use of a deadly weapon which incurred six months of probation. He also agreed to pay a $500 fine, participate in a firearms safety class and complete 24 hours of community service
Producer and actor Baldwin fired the prop gun (pictured) that killed one crew member and injured another on the set of the movie ‘Rust’ in New Mexico
Prosecutors noted in court documents submitted in January that Baldwin was absent from an initial firearms training session.
Gutierrez-Reed set up an hour-long subsequent session for Baldwin, but they only completed 30 minutes.
‘According to Reed, Baldwin was distracted and talking on his cell phone to his family during the training,’ the prosecutors stated.
The affidavit claimed Baldwin gave ‘inconsistent accounts’ about how the shooting happened – first telling police he ‘fired’ the gun, then insisting he did not pull the trigger.
Prosecutors stated that ‘photos and videos clearly show Baldwin, multiple times, with his finger inside the trigger guard and on the trigger.’
They add: ‘Baldwin approached responding deputies on the day of the shooting, wanting to talk to them because he was the one who ‘fired’ the gun.’
Baldwin claimed in interviews after the shooting that he did not pull the trigger.
He believes the fault lies with the armorer, who he says should have checked the gun was safe before it was handed to him.
Yet the probable cause statement against Baldwin referred to the FBI’s previous analysis of the firearm, which ‘clearly showed that the weapon could not ‘accidentally fire.’
The document also said Baldwin failed to demand ‘at least two safety checks between the armorer and himself’ prior to the shooting.